Box for breeding

beastie

Hi guys. I have an ikea box, 40x30x15 cm or so. I use it to store leftover plants now, i have a sponge filter available and I was wondering:

Can I put a trio of sterbai corydoras and hope for a breeding action?

Other fish that I have and could try if sterbais would not work are: ember tetras, rummynose tetras, few pygmy corydoras, least rasboras. Everything else is either too big or too young or I don't want to breed that (white cloud minnows)

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 10:38 AM, beastie said:

Hi guys. I have an ikea box, 40x30x15 cm or so. I use it to store leftover plants now, i have a sponge filter available and I was wondering:

Can I put a trio of sterbai corydoras and hope for a breeding action?

Other fish that I have and could try if sterbais would not work are: ember tetras, rummynose tetras, few pygmy corydoras, least rasboras. Everything else is either too big or too young or I don't want to breed that (white cloud minnows)

Thanks!

It's possible some breeders use totes. Depends on what the material of the box  is made of. If the box will leach toxins. @beastie

Posted (edited)

@beastie 

If I am using plastic totes to hold water i check what its stamped as on the bottom and then verify thats generally safe. I have used #2 and sometimes #5 plastics for short term situations without any problems in my water. 

My sterbai pair that made it out of a 3 day power outage 14 months ago are pretty tolerant of everything. When the mood hits them they tend to make where they are work for the task. Food grade plastics would likely not bother them since they have laid eggs on a specimen container that was hanging inside the tank before.

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 2