LoriG

• pH= 7.0
  • Nitrates= 20
  • Hardness= ?
  • Nitrite= 0
  • Ammonia= 0
  • KH/Buffer=?
  • Water Temperature =76

I have a ranchu goldfish, Almond, with a growth near its tail. I did not notice this growth until today. I did a water change yesterday(30%). I'm not noticing any behavioral changes and Almond is eating normally. What do you think this is?  How do I treat it?

IMG_6840.jpeg

IMG_6839.jpeg

With the Redding possible bacterial infections causing inflammation what I would do is a course of kanaplex it's a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment and add an extra air stone during treatment @LoriG

On 4/22/2024 at 2:13 AM, LoriG said:

Thanks Colu!  Can I treat the whole tank? I have 2 other ranchus and snails in with Almond. 

You could quarantine and treat as Kanaplex can be harmful to snails or you could remove the snails and treat the main tank 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Good news is that Almond is  completely recovered after the Kanaplex tx. Bad news is I'm having an ammonia spike. I added Prime to the tank and will do a water change. I did a large 1 on Sunday. How long can this last?  I've never had my biofilter crash. What else should I be doing?

Thanks!

Lori

On 5/1/2024 at 5:52 AM, LoriG said:

Hi,

Good news is that Almond is  completely recovered after the Kanaplex tx. Bad news is I'm having an ammonia spike. I added Prime to the tank and will do a water change. I did a large 1 on Sunday. How long can this last?  I've never had my biofilter crash. What else should I be doing?

Thanks!

Lori

Test daily If your seeing any ammonia do a 50% water change and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any ammonia till it constantly stays at zero if you have some cycled media from another tank you could add that will help to speed up the process 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm still doing daily 40-50% water changes bc i still have ammonia in the tank. I only have a very small 6 gallon betta tank that's established. Not sure moving media from it would help my 60 gallon goldfish tank?  I've used Kanaplex before and it never crashed my cycle. I'm afraid all of this will be too stressful for my fish. Is there anything else that can be done?

Thanks,

Lori

On 5/16/2024 at 8:44 PM, LoriG said:

Hi,

I'm still doing daily 40-50% water changes bc i still have ammonia in the tank. I only have a very small 6 gallon betta tank that's established. Not sure moving media from it would help my 60 gallon goldfish tank?  I've used Kanaplex before and it never crashed my cycle. I'm afraid all of this will be too stressful for my fish. Is there anything else that can be done?

Thanks,

Lori

How high is the ammonia getting