Filtration Flow issue

Hello All,

I was just hoping to get some thoughts on some flow issues I have. I'm considering switching my filter from an Aquaclear 110 to a Sicce whale 350 canister for my 75 gal. As you can see in the pictures, with the AC 110 + my wavemaker all the food and debris gets collected to a dead spot rather than my filters intake. The intake almost needs to be on the back wall rather than the side wall that I have it now. This would allow the debris to get pushed to the intake right where that deadspot is rather than several inches away from the intake.  Please share your thoughts on a possible fix. the wave maker is set as low as it will go and the AC 110 is set to the mid point as to not blow around the younger fish. 

20240420_073253.jpg

20240420_074828.jpg

20240420_093436.jpg

You can do whatever you like, but as far as stocking goes, your hang on back is plenty. Personally I would move my filters and wave makers around the minimize dead spots. You can also add some corydoras or plecos that will kick up any detritus in their area making it easier for the filter to pick up. I’d also make a quick gravel vac part of my weekly routine. This seems like the path of least resistance. Also not sure of the direction of the water, but that large driftwood can and will slow down flow dramatically. 

Stock wise the AC 110 is plenty yeah but the issue is you can't move the intake or output of the HOB. The current flow is in a circular fashion from right to left. With a HOB i can't move the intake to the correct location without moving the output. Not sure where I would move the wavemaker to fix the deadspot issue?

It appears that you have extended the intake as low as you can get it and added a sponge filter.  Raising the intake will change the flow and might eliminate the dead spot.  You could also realign and speed up the wavemaker to change the flow across the tank..

@Tanked I didn't even think about getting rid of the extension. I'll try that. I don't think that increasing the wavemaker would help, I think the wavemaker is causing the debris to not get pulled in to the filter because they are positioned on the same wall. At this point I think its try your solution of removing the extension and if that doesn't work I would go with the canister route since it will allow me to position the intake and output in a more optimal fashion. 

• Like 1

Increasing the speed will (should) increase the current along the bottom of the tank and help to eliminate the dead spot.  The two rocks on the left might be also be blocking the flow and causing the dead spot.  Unless you have your heart set on buying a cannister, I would try making adjustments to the equipment you have.

• Like 1

@EricksonAquatics It is 2 electric blue acara. The schooling fish you saw is the Congo tetra's x6. I also have 3 amano shrimp in there. I need more but i need some of my smaller ones from the 20 to grow up so not to get eaten. I'm also in the market for Geophagus Sveni, i'm planning on getting at least 2.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:05 PM, Ryan1988 said:

@Tanked Ideally I would make adjustments though I worry about increasing the speed of the AC 110 and the affect it would have on the fish. I would hate for them to get blown around. 

That is definitely a consideration.  

@Ryan1988 I have 5 geophagus Sveni, they get large and aren’t as docile as most think a geophagus can be. If you end up with 2 males, you’ll have issues. If they end up being male/female then your acara will have issues. They obtain  length of 10” so I’d probably leave them out of this tank. They also do best in groups.