Plant light suggestions for a 10g tank?

Got some suggestions? I am clueless about fish tank lights and need assistance on which one I could use on my topfinn 10g starter kit. Thanks and oh here is a picture of my tank if that even helps lol. And also I need one becuase the light currently hanging on the lid is not bright enough for my moneywort and it’s not doing great.

8A135416-D24A-49AE-B3BE-3909DCC3B4DB.jpeg

Yo!!! Cool tank! I really love the cave structure ^_^

colar-temp_plants_dgrskelvin.jpg.4de08accbdc5eeb5d67bde296c2c4302.jpgAquatic photosynthesis performs best at 5000+ degrees kelvin. Blue light is incredibly important for plant growth and health. Blue light stimulates chlorophyll, which helps healthy leaves and strong roots. Blue light also stimulates auxins (plant hormones), which help healthy growth and recovery. 

"Researchers at the University of Florida conducted a study where they grew lettuce seedlings under different light conditions, including blue light. They found that the lettuce seedlings grown under blue light had significantly larger and greener leaves compared to those grown under red or white light." (https://www.mars-hydro.com/info/post/the-ultimate-guide-to-spectrum-science-in-led-grow-lights

For most aquatic plants, red light isn't as important (but it truly depends on what you desire). Red light helps plants germinate [produce flowers and fertilize seeds], but it also helps plants produce antioxidants and healthy cellular properties. 

If you go on Amazon or anywhere else and search for 'grow lights', you'll find these will have mostly blue lights with red lights incorporated throughout. I use a grow light that has a temperature of ~6000 degrees kelvin. This light has both blue and red LEDs. Personally I have seen amazing growth out of all of my plants. I also have moneywort and it has been spreading like crazy; shooting runners out and growing super tall... it has only been in my tank for about a week and I've already had to do two trimmings!

So basically, I wouldn't recommend any specific brand or whatnot. I just went on amazon and found the cheapest grow light that would fit my tank. It is a hanging light and I have it hung about 10 inches above my tank. It was about 15 bucks and it is SUPER bright & I am satisfied with it. But... again, I'm cheap. So that is my cheap-but-effective advice for you! I hope it was helpful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the nicrew and aquaneat LEDs for the price. The nicrews are adjustable and have timers but the aquaneats are cheaper and brighter. Both are on amazon.

I’m not sure about nicer, more expensive lights. I’d imagine the co-op lights are great though:

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 4/20/2024 at 12:38 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I like the nicrew and aquaneat LEDs for the price. The nicrews are adjustable and have timers but the aquaneats are cheaper and brighter. Both are on amazon.

I’m not sure about nicer, more expensive lights. I’d imagine the co-op lights are great though:

All but 1 of my tanks run Aquaneat lights. Great light for the price point. The 1 tank that is different runs an ACO light

All depends on your budget, but I’ve enjoyed the Aquaneats. Most of them I’ve had for 4 years at this point with 0 issues. 

I would also suggest getting a different lid for your tank. Glass lid, or make your own out of greenhouse siding. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/20/2024 at 3:02 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

All but 1 of my tanks run Aquaneat lights. Great light for the price point. The 1 tank that is different runs an ACO light

All depends on your budget, but I’ve enjoyed the Aquaneats. Most of them I’ve had for 4 years at this point with 0 issues. 

I would also suggest getting a different lid for your tank. Glass lid, or make your own out of greenhouse siding. 

Thx! How much are we talking on that light? And also I am going to get a glass lid, forgot to mention that @AllFishNoBrakes.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:13 PM, clownbaby said:

Yo!!! Cool tank! I really love the cave structure ^_^

colar-temp_plants_dgrskelvin.jpg.4de08accbdc5eeb5d67bde296c2c4302.jpgAquatic photosynthesis performs best at 5000+ degrees kelvin. Blue light is incredibly important for plant growth and health. Blue light stimulates chlorophyll, which helps healthy leaves and strong roots. Blue light also stimulates auxins (plant hormones), which help healthy growth and recovery. 

"Researchers at the University of Florida conducted a study where they grew lettuce seedlings under different light conditions, including blue light. They found that the lettuce seedlings grown under blue light had significantly larger and greener leaves compared to those grown under red or white light." (https://www.mars-hydro.com/info/post/the-ultimate-guide-to-spectrum-science-in-led-grow-lights

For most aquatic plants, red light isn't as important (but it truly depends on what you desire). Red light helps plants germinate [produce flowers and fertilize seeds], but it also helps plants produce antioxidants and healthy cellular properties. 

If you go on Amazon or anywhere else and search for 'grow lights', you'll find these will have mostly blue lights with red lights incorporated throughout. I use a grow light that has a temperature of ~6000 degrees kelvin. This light has both blue and red LEDs. Personally I have seen amazing growth out of all of my plants. I also have moneywort and it has been spreading like crazy; shooting runners out and growing super tall... it has only been in my tank for about a week and I've already had to do two trimmings!

So basically, I wouldn't recommend any specific brand or whatnot. I just went on amazon and found the cheapest grow light that would fit my tank. It is a hanging light and I have it hung about 10 inches above my tank. It was about 15 bucks and it is SUPER bright & I am satisfied with it. But... again, I'm cheap. So that is my cheap-but-effective advice for you! I hope it was helpful!

Wow, super duper helpful!!! Thanks sooo much @clownbaby, will check those out! 

On 4/20/2024 at 2:38 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Thanks, I thought that most would be on Amazon @macdaddy36. Thanks everyone for the help.

On 4/20/2024 at 3:53 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thx! How much are we talking on that light? And also I am going to get a glass lid, forgot to mention that @AllFishNoBrakes.

Wow, super duper helpful!!! Thanks sooo much @clownbaby, will check those out! 

Thanks, I thought that most would be on Amazon @macdaddy36. Thanks everyone for the help.

Aquaneat light of that size probably $15

• Thanks 1