Phosphate Remover = Algae Breakout?

Evan

I recently started using phosphate remover pads in my filter and now I have a major string algae breakout. I would say these are connected but I wanted to ask the forum whether it made sense. 
Thanks. 

This is interesting.  I've been plagued with varius types of algae since I started aquariums several years agao.  My tap water is sky high in phosphates so I started using Phosguard to lower the levels several weeks ago and it seems the grow back levels are lower.   I'm interested in feedback from other forum members  on this.

• Thanks 1

Aquariums are complex ecosystems. Any change you make tends to alter the system, often in undesirable and unimagined ways. Over many, many years of aquarium keeping I've found that the less you mess with things, the better the outcome tends to be. 

In theory, removing phosphate should lessen algae growth. Less food and building blocks should mean less algae. Weird stuff happens though. I would suspect the longer days we get in springtime might be leading to your algae issue if the tank gets any natural light. Rooms stay brighter longer and that could be causing the algae issues. Around here, in mid-December the room lights need to come on around 4:30 in the afternoon.  Now the rooms stay pretty bright until 7:30-ish. That's three hours of extra light each night and the mornings get brighter earlier also. While that light may not be shining directly on the tank, any extra light in a room can cause an increase in algae. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's a planted tank. In addition to the phosphate remover I did some other stuff (trimmed the plants way, way too much) and completely threw off my balance.

On 4/20/2024 at 6:10 PM, Evan said:

Yes, it's a planted tank. In addition to the phosphate remover I did some other stuff (trimmed the plants way, way too much) and completely threw off my balance.

You will never ever starve algae by reducing nutrients. You will only cause more algae by killing your plants. You need to get the phosogaurd out and start dosing the tank with a well balanced all in one or use dry fertilizer that can be tailored. 

I would do a nice big water change and start dosing immediately. I’d keep up on weekly large water changes and dose immediately after the water changes. Keep this up while the plants grow back in. Once new growth has returned, remove the older leaves with algae.

Just to show you, I keep all my tanks at 10ppm PO4. 

IMG_0052.jpeg

IMG_0045.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 4/20/2024 at 9:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You need to get the phosogaurd out

Your tanks are amazing!  Your comment about never being able to starve algae by removing nutrients is logical.   I'm curious though...I use well water that, out ot the tap, is north of 10.0 ppm. I'm using the API test, and 10.0 ppm is as high as it measures.    I've got good plant growth but always lots of algae of various types.  I do weekly water changes with vacuuming detritis.  I do need to be more regular about fertilizer.  Is my attempt to remove some of the phosphate unreasonable since its native to the water itself?  Any advise on how to deal with this is gratefully requested.

On 4/21/2024 at 3:54 AM, reefhugger said:

Your tanks are amazing!  Your comment about never being able to starve algae by removing nutrients is logical.   I'm curious though...I use well water that, out ot the tap, is north of 10.0 ppm. I'm using the API test, and 10.0 ppm is as high as it measures.    I've got good plant growth but always lots of algae of various types.  I do weekly water changes with vacuuming detritis.  I do need to be more regular about fertilizer.  Is my attempt to remove some of the phosphate unreasonable since its native to the water itself?  Any advise on how to deal with this is gratefully requested.

If the source water is high PO4, I’d find a fertilizer option that only adds N,K and traces. This can be challenging with liquid fertilizer, but using dry fertilizer is the way to go here. 

What’s the NO3 out of your tap?

On 4/20/2024 at 6:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You will never ever starve algae by reducing nutrients. You will only cause more algae by killing your plants. You need to get the phosogaurd out and start dosing the tank with a well balanced all in one or use dry fertilizer that can be tailored. 

I would do a nice big water change and start dosing immediately. I’d keep up on weekly large water changes and dose immediately after the water changes. Keep this up while the plants grow back in. Once new growth has returned, remove the older leaves with algae.

Just to show you, I keep all my tanks at 10ppm PO4. 

Circled in blue.PinkPurple.jpeg.4443d50dc71c9871283c1dab432d81df.jpeg

On 4/22/2024 at 11:50 AM, Milliardo Peacecraft said:

@Mmiller2001 what sort of sry fertilizers are usable for an aquarium?

KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, CaSO4. MgSO4 and a carbonate (optional K2CO3). Micro mixes come in several variates. They are all dirt cheap, last a long time and just need a set of small Teaspoons or gram scale. 

You can dump them in dry or make your own solution. I’ve done both and recently make my own solution. It’s just too easy to squeeze a bottle and dump it in.

• Like 1