IsisP

Yesterday I tested my water and the pH was 7.6
High range ph 8
No ammonia
No nitrite
Nitrates 40
GH Around 200 ppm
KH 107.4 ppm
And today I made a water change, and all of a sudden one female Platy just entered in some kind of shock like an hour after and died like having a heart attack.,.... And everyone else is super fine even her offspring born some days ago.. it was a nitrate shock??
Levels after the water change are the same as before it, but nitrates are now 5 ppm.

Edited by IsisP

On 4/19/2024 at 8:11 PM, Tony s said:

Na, that’s the whole point of a water change. Possibility of a temperature shock? 

??? On the methylene blue

Sorry i didnt specify about the methylene blue. the filter was into a quarantine tank and I used methylene blue in there, I just washed the filter with hot tap water but I am not sure if I can put the filter in the main tank again.

I would think it's fine, but no idea, really. if it's running clear you should be good. I've seen fish take baths in the stuff. but a trace over long term should be okay. just watch behavior and if it seems off then water change

I would suspect it was just her time to die since none of the other fish in the tank were affected. Death happens in a tank. Often for no apparent reason. YouTuber Aquarium Domain found a dead discus in his tank on a recent video that had died for no apparent reason. It happens. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:27 AM, gardenman said:

I would suspect it was just her time to die since none of the other fish in the tank were affected. Death happens in a tank. Often for no apparent reason. YouTuber Aquarium Domain found a dead discus in his tank on a recent video that had died for no apparent reason. It happens. 

Agreed, the fishes time can come at a odd time, but if no other fish died, I would say that it was just the fish, but if more die, I would start looking at the temp shock @Tony s mentioned.