White patch on oto snout?

haliboo

I'm new to keeping aquariums, and one of my otos has a protruding white patch on his snout - what is it and how should I treat? 

Water parameters:

Nitrate 25 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Hardness 150 ppm GH

Buffer 80 ppm KH

pH 6.8

Temp 73 degrees F

17133942406606950332250275813285.jpg

Edited by haliboo

I have had terrible luck with oto's in the last 2 weeks and confirmed multiple diseases/ weee beasties with skin scrapings from the deceased. I have 2 living (and thriving) out of 8! That being said IDK what that is but it looks fungal, which is usually caused by injury or an original bacterial infection. I would start with Maracyn. They are so sensitive to changes in their environment including medications so it is rough. Good luck.

On 4/17/2024 at 4:27 PM, NikkiRae said:

I have had terrible luck with oto's in the last 2 weeks and confirmed multiple diseases/ weee beasties with skin scrapings from the deceased. I have 2 living (and thriving) out of 8! That being said IDK what that is but it looks fungal, which is usually caused by injury or an original bacterial infection. I would start with Maracyn. They are so sensitive to changes in their environment including medications so it is rough. Good luck.

Thank you @NikkiRae! Do you know if it might go away on its own? Or if I should quarantine him? I don't have another tank but could get one. 

On 4/17/2024 at 7:36 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Some fungus can be treated with salt, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can chime in 

Salt would be great but sadly they are extremely sensitive to salt but also most other meds because they are scaleless, puny, little, cry baby's. They are sooooo cute though and are amazing tank cleaners. 

On 4/17/2024 at 8:56 PM, NikkiRae said:

Salt would be great but sadly they are extremely sensitive to salt but also most other meds because they are scaleless, puny, little, cry baby's. They are sooooo cute though and are amazing tank cleaners. 

They are super cute I have 6 in my bathtub of a tank

Looks like it's injured itself am not seeing any fuzzy appearance that would indicate a fungal infections what I would do is add Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect and monitor give an update if it gets worse @haliboo

• Like 1