Ick... Treat with metroplex and focus?

Confetto

This afternoon I discovered what I believe to be ick on one of my celestial pearl danios. This is a freshly cycled planted tank, new fish all bought at the same time at the same store. The tanks looked good and the fish look good. Five days later, I noticed spots on one fish.

I went back to the LFS, whom I have a love-hate relationship with, I showed them a photo and a video of my fish where they confirmed it was indeed ick. I had asked for Hikari ick x  which they we're out of stock, however they offered me Seachem metaplex and focus.

At the store, they did tell me how to use the products, but when I got home, I double checked on Google which said Metro doesn't treat ick.  With conflicting information I'm at a loss of what to actually do. 

The tank stocking: 10 neon tetras, four CPDs & six kuhli loaches. Parameters pictured below.

IMG_20240415_164705289.jpg

IMG_20240415_164841576.jpg

Focus is generally used to mix with medications and feed for internal parasites. I have never heard of ick being cured by feeding medications. I successfully got ride of ick with Jungle Ick clear tabs. Then after wards I kept an in filter uv filter going. Downside, it stained everything blue, killed snails (I am disgusted by dead snails- they smell so bad and can destroy water quality very quickly), and my java ferns leaves started turning black on the edges. I caught it before the spots were that intense though. The spots on my fish were gone in 2 days with no fatality's and didn't need to treat again. 

On 4/15/2024 at 6:30 PM, NikkiRae said:

Important!!! I just realized you said you have loaches!! do not use what I used!! 

I knew when getting kuhli loaches that they are sensitive, like my mystery snails. (Not in the same tank) 

That is why I am nervous about getting loaches. Disease runs rampant in this hobby and I don't want fish  that I am scared to treat ( I am scared to treat all fish because it is hard on all of them and can be spendy trying to find the right remedy). I did read that you could do a half dose but it is going to be a risk no matter what. I hope someone more experienced replies. An idea I had:  what if you separated the super afflicted less sensitive fish, treated as normal, and then treat the loaches at a lower dose separately as a precaution at a low dose until you know the coast is clear. Pure brainstorming at this point though . 

Metronidazole isn't very effective at treating ich you ick X or kordon rid ick plus or  seachems paraguard I would also add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons as ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add back in essential electrolytes just remember to only put back in what you take out so if you do a 10 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in as salt only removed though water changes @Confetto

I have treated ich with Metronidazole and believe it was effective.   One benefit of using Metro (if I'm understanding Seachem's statements correctly) is that Metronidazole will treat and kill the parasite while it is attached to the fish as well as the free-floating protozoan phase.  Many of the other treatments for ich such as malachite green are only effective against the free-floating protozoan phase of the parasite life cycle, but the mature ich that is growing on the fish and harming the fish will complete its growth phase.  That is why it is important to treat early before fish get heavily infected.  Also have you looked into methods of threating ich by just raising the water temperature?  

On 4/15/2024 at 10:23 PM, Rich L. said:

Also have you looked into methods of threating ich by just raising the water temperature?  

I was considering raising the temp to 80°, however I read both CPDs and tetras don't do well in temperatures over 78°. The loaches would like it.

Now three CPDs have spots. Someone commented here separating the fish, but my Q-tank is currently a hatchery for baby snails. That and trying to catch kuhlis I will only stress the fish more. 

Absolutely nowhere local carries the Hikari X 😣 Even ordering it on Amazon it won't get here until Friday. So I went ahead with the Metro and Focus tonight as better to treat with something rather than nothing. The kuhlis & the neons ate the treated food however the CPDs have not touched it. I may also add some aquarium salt in the morning and ordered IX from ACO as it should arrive Weds.