Trying to help this rainbow fish.

ange

One of my coworkers moved and her rainbow fish got pretty beat up in the bucket. He was alone, but panicked and definitely hit the sides multiple times and I think that the physical trauma made him susceptible to other issues.

Over the last month my coworker gave him 2 full courses of para cleanse due to blood spots that we both assumed were from flukes. Is there anything that we can do to encourage the tissue to heal? He has been in a quarantine setup  with 2 females (who were not injured) ever since the injury and aside from aquarium salt I'm at a loss regarding what else could help him heal.

The first three photos are from today and he's much more inflamed than previous times during his treatment. The last four photos are from late February when he was first injured.

IMG_20240404_131138.jpg

IMG_20240404_131143.jpg

IMG_20240404_131147.jpg

IMG_20240404_131828.jpg

IMG_20240404_131838.jpg

IMG_20240404_131848.jpg

IMG_20240404_131851.jpg

Edited by ange

How high have you been dosing salt?

I'm not advocating for this in your case, so don't run off and do it.  But my discus had some sort of bacterial infection.  It looked similar to HITH, but was not that.  I tried tons of stuff and what finally turned the tide was removing the fish from the water and using a cotton swab to dab a little hydrogen peroxide on the wounds.  I did this two or three times in total about 4-7 days in between.  It was pretty obvious that it helped within a couple of days.  

Otherwise, lots of clean water if you're not doing that already.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:30 PM, jwcarlson said:

How high have you been dosing salt?

I'm not advocating for this in your case, so don't run off and do it.  But my discus had some sort of bacterial infection.  It looked similar to HITH, but was not that.  I tried tons of stuff and what finally turned the tide was removing the fish from the water and using a cotton swab to dab a little hydrogen peroxide on the wounds.  I did this two or three times in total about 4-7 days in between.  It was pretty obvious that it helped within a couple of days.  

Otherwise, lots of clean water if you're not doing that already.

Before he started paracleanse he was at 8 tbs of salt in a 10 gallon tank. He went through multiple water changes to get the salinity down before he started his paracleanse. His last course finished last Friday (Mar 29) and he's been sitting in quarantine without extra additives (salt, meds, etc) since then. Based off of what my coworker has told me he's getting at least a 10% water change daily because she knows that meds can upset the nitrogen cycle and the quarantine had a seeded sponge but definitely isn't what we'd consider established.

I tested his water during his first course of paracleanse (early March) and there was a low amount of nitrite but that has not happened again since that treatment. He hovers around low (under 20ppm) to zero nitrate now.

I'm definitely open to the idea of treating with peroxide. He's definitely had some dead flesh slough off here and I don't expect him to look the same as he did pre-injury.

For my discus they were always acting totally normal, eating completely fine so I was very confident that wouldn't be any issues stressing them out a bit.  I don't know that I would suggest doing it if he's really lethargic or otherwise seems really stressed.  But he looks pretty vibrant, so it might be worth a shot.  It is a pretty big area, though.  So that might be tough.  

It does certainly look like it's getting worse.  Antibiotics might also be beneficial, but I'd see what someone else suggests in the vein... I'm by no means an expert.  

Is he eating and moving normally?

First thought was mycobacterium that really common in rainbow fish that what could be going  on looking  at the pictures or it's developed a secondary bacterial infection after injuring itself I would  do a course of kanaplex  and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan for more severe bacterial infections @ange

1000000030.png

• Like 1