Please Help! Fish Flashing! No white spots or any visible evidence of disease!

MiamiObi

I have a 210 gallon South/Central American Cichlid tank. I run 2 FX6's. I do weekly 50% water changes and use prime and stability with each water change. My water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 ppm nitrate. My Ph is a stable 7.3. I don't test GH and KH but i know that my water in South Texas is pretty hard.

I have 2 Severums, 1 EBA, 5 Geophagus tapajos, 1 Geophagus Sveni, 1 juvenile golden Saum, 1 juvenile Green Terror l, 1 Red tail shark and 1 juvenile Oscar. All quarantined for 1 months before introducing to display tank.

I am fairly experienced in the hobby but I have not dealt with a lot of diseases as I always quarantine.

The tank has been set up for over 1 year. Never had any deaths or any disease in the tank.

I recently added juvenile Oscar, Severum, red tail shark and Sveni after a month of quarantine of course, then I started noticing some flashing in the Geophagus, EBA and red tail shark flashing occasionally on my sand substrate.

No stringy white poop, no observable redness of gills, no observable flukes and absolutely no white spots on the fishes. They are all eating and are very active but occasionally flash. Many a few times per hour when I'm observing them.

I read that ICH could manifest as flashing even without seeing any white spots as they may be in the gills of the fish.

So I slowly raised my tank temp to 87, and have treated with ICH X for 4 days with daily 30% water changes as directed by the manufacturer. 

The fish are still flashing occasionally several times per hour but I have not seen any white spots or any visible disease in all the fish. All are still very active and eating well. 

I am leaning towards stopping ICH X and switching to Prazipro to treat for potential gill flukes but i don't want to just give my fishes medicine without knowing what I am treating.

I also don't want to regret not doing anything and have a massive outbreak of something.

I will appreciate any opinions on what maybe causing the flashing and any treatment recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Flashing can be caused by a number of things ich flukes chlorine or ammonia burn to the gills as the flashing started after you added new fish I would be learning towards Gill flukes have you notice any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy @MiamiObi

• Like 1

@Colu

Thanks so much for your response.

I have not noticed rapid breathing or hanging out at the tank surface. I run a 2 wavemakers in the tank with the big one pointing to the surface.

I have plenty of surface agitation with the wavemaker and 2 FX6 outflow heads.

The fishes are very active and eating well. The Geophagus are sand sifting as usual then one or two of them would flash on the sand substrate.

The EBA occasionally glass surfs but nothing else out of the ordinary.

They however seem to be more active with the heat at 87 since last Sunday 3/31.

What I would suggest is monitor for a couple of days if there still flashing several times an hour then I would treat with prazipro once every two weeks for 3 full courses of treatment so you would want to treat week 1 week 3 week 5 @MiamiObi

@Colu

Ok sounds good!

I treated with ICH X last night.

I will leave it in there for a couple of days.

If flashing continues, I'll do a 50% or larger water change, add carbon back into my filter for 24 hours and then dose Prazipro.

Does this sound like a good plan?

On 4/4/2024 at 9:44 PM, MiamiObi said:

@Colu

Ok sounds good!

I treated with ICH X last night.

I will leave it in there for a couple of days.

If flashing continues, I'll do a 50% or larger water change, add carbon back into my filter for 24 hours and then dose Prazipro.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Yes that good plan you need to do a minimum of three course of prazipro even if they stop flashing to kill all the flukes