Cupramine not working!

cichlidx80

OK here are the stats.

Tank: 75gal freshwater no plants, 3 Blue Acra, 1 Gold Severum,  Driftwood, gravel substrate, running a Fluval 407

The question or the problem I guess,  I have Ich going on and I'm using Curpamine as the my current medicine.  I've followed instructions very carefully.   The problem is that the level is not staying put.   24hrs after first dose was .24  48hrs later it was .11  added the second dose per instructions.  Tested later in the day and it was .26  Came home today and test again 24hrs after 2nd dose and it was .16   What the heck??????  I have removed all carbon or other chemical media.  Fish are showing more and more white spots.

Please help.   

BTW parameters are:

PH 7

Nitrate not showing on test strip

Nitrite not showing on test strip

Ammonia checker thing reads fine.

Temp 79

That odd that the level of copper is falling so quickly  what I would suggest is getting ick X and aquarium salt and treat with both aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallon as ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt adds back in essential electrolytes and ick x don't use salt with copper based medication it can make them toxic in some instances @cichlidx80

Edited by Colu

I did add aquarium salt as I thought that would help.  Does it really make the Copramine more toxic?  and would that explain why using the normal freshwater dose is not working because I have added the salt?

On 4/4/2024 at 2:12 AM, cichlidx80 said:

I did add aquarium salt as I thought that would help.  Does it really make the Copramine more toxic?  and would that explain why using the normal freshwater dose is not working because I have added the salt?

Salt can cause  a reaction with some copper based medication that why I wouldn't recommend using the two together I don't no if that would effect the concentration of copper when your testing 

Posted (edited)

So apparently, the Fluval FXI have been using for biomedia was absorbing the Cupramine. I've heard folks say both it dosen't do that and that yes it does.  However, since I took it out I have not seen the level drop or change.  Fish are already looking better now that they have been at a steady dosage

Edited by cichlidx80
spelling
  • Like 1