Blue Ram parameters

I have very odd parameters because we have a water softener to help with our would be super hard Midwestern well water. There is no bypass, the house was built before we had fish. My tanks parameters are 8.0 pH, medium buffer, soft water.

Up until this point, I have only kept very adaptable fish but I know that German blue ram tend to be more finicky. Would they do OK in the high pH as long as they have soft water. I know they are usually thought of as soft water fish so does the alkalinity matter? Not looking to breed them just keep them healthy and happy.

In my experience keeping water parameters stable and keeping nitrates as close to zero as possible is the most important aspect to keeping rams.  

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 1

Your situation is unique.  I know the hardness affects them a lot.  The 8.0 ph may be a touch high. But in the soft water it may or may not affect them.

Try it.  Keep them warm and large weekly water changes even with low nitrates. Keep the substrate clean. And avoid fertilizer until you know if you kids can handle your water.  Then if you really feel you need to use fertilizer try tiny amounts. 

Good luck let us know how you make out. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Guppysnail you have p. luminatus right? Do you think they would be able to handle the high temperatures as well?

I don’t use fertilizer on any of my tanks because I have mostly root feeders now so that shouldn’t be an issue

Edited by macdaddy36

On 4/2/2024 at 9:24 PM, macdaddy36 said:

@@Guppysnail you have p. luminatus right? Do you think they would be able to handle the high temperatures as well?

I will probably get these soon so could move this to the journal section for me?

80 is the top end of the luminatus range. They are not long lived fish and running them hot may shorten their life. 
Im sure it can be done but may be hard on the luminatus.  I keep those at 75. 
If it’s a combo you have have your heart set on try it.  I’ve seen folks make some incredible combos work well for years  Example shubunkins and GBR.

As long as you are aware of the challenges and watch for issues having a plan B if it goes sideways I say try. 
My original GBR were a surprise gift. They were with CPD who definitely do not like warm temps. 
It was hard on the CPD but I made it work for awhile.  

On 4/3/2024 at 6:09 AM, Guppysnail said:

80 is the top end of the luminatus range. They are not long lived fish and running them hot may shorten their life. 
Im sure it can be done but may be hard on the luminatus.  I keep those at 75. 
If it’s a combo you have have your heart set on try it.  I’ve seen folks make some incredible combos work well for years  Example shubunkins and GBR.

As long as you are aware of the challenges and watch for issues having a plan B if it goes sideways I say try. 
My original GBR were a surprise gift. They were with CPD who definitely do not like warm temps. 
It was hard on the CPD but I made it work for awhile.  

Would harlequin rasbora s be able to handle the hot water better?

On 4/3/2024 at 8:07 AM, macdaddy36 said:

Would harlequin rasbora s be able to handle the hot water better?

Both luminatus and harlequins have an upper range of 80. Both can handle 80. All fish that live their entire life at the upper end of their temp range may live shorter lives.  This could mean a day less a month less or a year less. It’s really unclear just how much it shortens lifespan. 
Fish are cold blooded.  Their metabolism is dictated by their temperature.  
As long as you are not over their temperature range by a lot it’s not something I would worry about. Just something I would take note of in case I saw issues.  If I saw issues I would consider consistently high temps as a possible stressor 

@macdaddy36 I’m reconsidering my answer. I’m having a hard time getting my wiggler luminatus to go free swimming.  I talked to my friend who to me is “the rainbow guy”. He says he has little survival of fry below 80. 80 is his sweet spot for the fry.  
I think you should try the luminatus. Because they do t live long the heat may not impact them as much.  
I just moved my luminatus egg hatchery to my GBR tank. 

Thanks for all the help! I’m definitely considering it but I have a few questions.

1. Aquahuna sells an unsexed 3 pack of GBRs. I have a gift card. Should I buy this or be more careful about the sex?

2. The tank in question would be a 20 gallon. The stocking would be 10x green neons, 10x luminatus, 5x kuhli loaches. Would this with the rams be overstocked. I think the green neons and kuhli loaches can handle the rams temp. Should I have this set up at 80f? 82?

3. I hope to upgrade to a 37 gallon or 36 bowfront in the future so I can keep pearl gourami. Would the two be compatible?

Your stock is way to heavy to keep the tank low enough on the bacterial load for GBR in my opinion. I have only a pair in a 20 long. 

what is already in the tank?  If this is a new tank then no to GBR. They need a tank very well seasoned. They are crazy sensitive to any water quality issues.  

If the rams pair they will defend against intruders near eggs.  Loaches are catfish and have no sense of being warned away.

Rams also get to be a decent size.  In a 20 high there is not enough floor space for 3. In a 20 long there is not enough floor space for 3 if 2 pair.  

I would consider maybe putting 1 group of 8 small schooling fish with my adult rams. 

Although well established planted tanks can handle much more than Aqadvisor says it’s a good starting point. Put I. Your desired stocking and see what it says.  

If it were me I would do the 20 minus the rams.  Once your larger tank is set up and well seasoned revisit the Ram idea. 

Things happen. If I had a nickle for every tank I started intending to upgrade that upgrades for one reason or another of life’s happenings delayed I would be rich. 

I also have 12 luminatus in a 20 high. I would not put another schooling fish with them. I do have Aspidora spilotus with them as bottom dwellers. That works well. 

On 4/3/2024 at 2:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

Your stock is way to heavy to keep the tank low enough on the bacterial load for GBR in my opinion. I have only a pair in a 20 long. 

what is already in the tank?  If this is a new tank then no to GBR. They need a tank very well seasoned. They are crazy sensitive to any water quality issues.  

If the rams pair they will defend against intruders near eggs.  Loaches are catfish and have no sense of being warned away.

Rams also get to be a decent size.  In a 20 high there is not enough floor space for 3. In a 20 long there is not enough floor space for 3 if 2 pair.  

I would consider maybe putting 1 group of 8 small schooling fish with my adult rams. 

Although well established planted tanks can handle much more than Aqadvisor says it’s a good starting point. Put I. Your desired stocking and see what it says.  

If it were me I would do the 20 minus the rams.  Once your larger tank is set up and well seasoned revisit the Ram idea. 

Things happen. If I had a nickle for every tank I started intending to upgrade that upgrades for one reason or another of life’s happenings delayed I would be rich. 

All the other fish on the stock list are already in the tank. This tank has been setup since 2022. It used to house my honey gourami pair too. I think I agree and I’m going to wait for awhile

• Like 1