Is this Plant deficiency?

Hello nerms!!!

I think I am having some issues with plant growth. 

IMG20240330001656.jpg.ab2935f4eec821fde0cacd6c1225792c.jpg

17117734484845271439037402568550.jpg.f8a17923ee85c04d4cc58f9cb3c057af.jpg17117736064947453612944456963515.jpg.c9642f9798e7f4b7a5e54a7ac5230070.jpg

If you see the photo, the older leaves are 2 to 3 times bigger whereas the new growth is really small. I noticed the same with my anubias plants (congensis, nana, and nana petite) as well. The leaves look healthy otherwise. Is there something I am missing? I dose Easy Green and have the Co-op light at 50%. Another tank with Hygger 24/7 at 100%. I dose quite heavily 3-4 times the recommended dose twice a week. For anubias plants, I assumed they were grown out of water and submerged growth is smaller compared to emarsed growth. But after getting bigger salvania recently, they also turned small in my tank. Thanks in advance.

On 3/30/2024 at 2:08 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Arnam Anan,

Do you have any water parameter and nutrient level parameters you can share?
 -Roy

NYC tap water. 

PH: 6.4-6.8

Kh: 0 (buffered using crushed coral to 3-4)

Gh: 0-25 ppm ( buffered using Seachem Equilibrium to ~ 200 ppm)

Nutrients: Easy Green ~4 pumps twice a week in 10 gallon tank and ~20 pumps in 55 gallon tank.

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks.

Hi @Arnam Anan,

Thank you for the additional information.  Is the pH of 6.4 the tap water or your tank water or out of the tap?  If tap water is still that reading after allowing it to de-gas for 24 hours? I very much discourage the use of crushed coral (calcium carbonate) in increase pH since it is impossible to control the dissolve rate it adds a substantial amount of calcium to the water as it dissolves  Not only does it increase the pH to levels that can effect nutrient uptake but it can impact the calcium:magnesium (Ca:Mg) ratio.  Using sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda not baking power) allows much easier control of the pH and does not effect the dGH or Ca:Mg ratio.

NYC gets water from two different watersheds, and a multitude of different reservoirs, aqueducts, and pipelines.  It is very like that depending upon the source being utilized the water analysis may vary frequently.  Here is the most recent NYC water quality report, the water analysis is about 2/3 the way down the .pdf.  -Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Seattle_Aquarist

I de-gased tap water for 24 hours, and stayed the same at about 6.4 pH.

As for crushed coral, I heard Cory and Bentley both suggesting it as a supplement substrate for softer water. As my Kh is zero, use that as a buffer. Just to make it clear, I use crushed coral in substrate and not add more during water change. In your opinion, what is the best way to buffer Kh? If I don't use crushed coral and use baking soda, wouldn't that tank be more susceptible to pH swings and pH crashes? I keep fish in both tanks and feed daily. Thanks.

On 3/30/2024 at 6:18 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Arnam Anan,

Thank you for the additional information.  Is the pH of 6.4 the tap water or your tank water or out of the tap?  If tap water is still that reading after allowing it to de-gas for 24 hours? I very much discourage the use of crushed coral (calcium carbonate) in increase pH since it is impossible to control the dissolve rate it adds a substantial amount of calcium to the water as it dissolves  Not only does it increase the pH to levels that can effect nutrient uptake but it can impact the calcium:magnesium (Ca:Mg) ratio.  Using sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda not baking power) allows much easier control of the pH and does not effect the dGH or Ca:Mg ratio.

NYC gets water from two different watersheds, and a multitude of different reservoirs, aqueducts, and pipelines.  It is very like that depending upon the source being utilized the water analysis may vary frequently.  Here is the most recent NYC water quality report, the water analysis is about 2/3 the way down the .pdf.  -Roy