Natural aquatic substrate

I like the look of river pea pebbles, and I have tanks with both sand and small river pebbles, but I struggle to grow any kind of plants.  I've spent more money that i'll ever tell my wife on coop plants that just melt away and never come back, I even wait to see if they will after initial melt.  My wife's class room tank that has fluval substrate is lush!  Is there a plant substrate that looks more natural than little black balls?  I'd also like to not be jagged edged so corys dont tear up their barbles.  Thanks.

CaribSea Peace River is a common and popular river look for a non-dirted substrate. 

Were you dosing liquid fertilizer and root tabs for your plants that weren't going well? Generally you need both for plants to thrive. 

The substrate doesn't matter for Cordoras. They're around sharp substrates in the wild. Don't worry about avoiding sharp substrates for them. 

I'd be more curious about your wifes fertilization routine than her substrate.

Edit: Unless the fluval substrate is an active substrate? 🤔

Edited by JoeQ

On 3/30/2024 at 8:49 AM, JoeQ said:

I'd be more curious about your wifes fertilization routine than her substrate.

Edit: Unless the fluval substrate is an active substrate? 🤔

Some fluval substrates are active.   I am getting banging results using api root tabs and simple green and the Hygger light set at full daylight for 8 hours.