test kits

I have a no CO2 planted tank and use root tabs and Easy Green fertilizers.  I can test for ph, kh, gh, nitrates and nitrites and ammonia.  What else should I test for?  Iron, phosphates, TDS?  Are these really necessary if I'm dosing with an all in one fert?

Its extremely important to know your calcium/magnesium ratio, together they are what makes up your GH. But untill you test you will never know your ratios, I believe 4:1 is ideal.

These are Secondary nutrients extremely important to plant growth, and particularly important to root development. It is less important than NPK, but more important (imo) than iron.

Finding your calcium/magnesium raio will help your plants immensely!

As far as TDS, for me this was an incredibly useful tool to see whats going on with my tank. For example: tds keep rising at an increasing rate? It's likely your plants aren't feeding because your nutrient balance is off and a water change is needed to reset the balance.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 5:36 PM, svachon9 said:

I have well and RO water

Then, unless you have heavy metals. You don’t need a dechlorinater. I have same issue. Well water and Ro. I almost never use it

But… if you find your parameters have gotten high. I’d use it then in the chance it detoxifies ammonia temporarily. A bit controversial for some people. I believe it works.