Congo Tetra vs Diamond Tetra Size Comparison

try this if your interested in schoolers. my favorite was the brilliant green rasbora. my daughter was playing with these at the lfs. they were chasing  her hand around the tank in a very tight school

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 2:21 PM, Tony s said:

try this if your interested in schoolers. my favorite was the brilliant green rasbora. my daughter was playing with these at the lfs. they were chasing  her hand around the tank in a very tight school

I am set on getting Congo tetra, but I’ve been seeing diamond tetra online and wasn’t sure how big they were compared to the Congo. I was wanting something little smaller so the Congo would be the focal/Centerpiece fish

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1

i Know you were thinking about lemons as well. I've never gotten mine to color up like you see in pictures. glass cats would be cool. but sort of invisible. I'm a member of Jason's channel and he has talked about having overstocked a tank of silver tips temporarily. they made a kind of silver fish cyclone

Edited by Tony s
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:36 PM, FLFishChik said:

I am set on getting Congo tetra, but I’ve been seeing diamond tetra online and wasn’t sure how big they were compared to the Congo. I was wanting Sonya little smaller so the Congo would be the focal/Centerpiece fish

Just as a side note, you will need a balanced group, and female kongo tetras are not as good looking as males

If you will go for a crowded group, you may end up having many males that would add that amazing color to your tank, but otherwise, you will have like only two colorful males and maybe 4 gray-ish females in a small school.

I love both species, but I think I would go for longfin diamond tetras if I won't get a big school of kongo tetras. Not having many males in a big school will lack the color IMO. I like the ones in this video

Edited by Lennie

On 3/25/2024 at 2:43 PM, Tony s said:

i Know you were thinking about lemons as well. I've never gotten mine to color up like you see in pictures. glass cats would be cool. but sort of invisible. I'm a member of Jason's channel and he has talked about having overstocked a tank of silver tips temporarily. they made a kind of silver fish cyclone

Yeah, Lemon tetra have been my top choice for awhile… but I’m easily distracted when it comes to Tetra… I always see “a cool new shiny” one that makes me rethink my choice 😂

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:40 PM, FLFishChik said:

Now I’m rethinking my Current Congo Tetra choice 🤔

i know, it's a tough choice. and it usually gets made 65 times, 3-4 times a day for me🤣. that's how you get to 14 tanks

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 5:30 PM, Tony s said:

i know, it's a tough choice. and it usually gets made 65 times, 3-4 times a day for me🤣. that's how you get to 14 tanks

The struggle is REAL. Congo Tetra…. Or Diamond Tetra???????

I blame @Lennie

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2024 at 12:47 AM, FLFishChik said:

The struggle is REAL. Congo Tetra…. Or Diamond Tetra???????

I blame @Lennie

I think many people sleep on rosy barbs. They are beautiful. In a level, videos are never able to show it properly and it is a rare occasion. Many time, videos and pics are much better looking for many fish compared to their original version in real life. But IMO, not for rosy barbs. They bring both orange and yellow color to the tank. Males are deep orange and females are yellowish. Both have the sheen and look pretty. But they are considerably "cheap" and common, so it might be struggling to find a good healthy stock. If you think you can, then I would def suggest checking rosy barbs.

Fun, active fish. A joy to watch. Super easy to breed, in a level, I accidentally transfered eggs in amazon frogbit roots and they hatched in a tub

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 12:24 AM, FLFishChik said:

Can anyone tell/show me the size comparison between a Diamond Tera and a Congo Tetra… and are they tank compatible? I can’t seem to find an image with both fish in the tank

I had both, the size ratio on mine was about 2.5 (congos) to 1 (diamonds). Congos are BIG! And absolutely stunning-looking. 

Both species coexisted fine although I moved diamonds to another tank because they look a bit too similar,  silver and shiny all the way..
Also despite being much larger, my congos were a lot more shy. Diamonds were far more assertive. 

On 3/25/2024 at 8:18 PM, Fonske said:

I had both, the size ratio on mine was about 2.5 (congos) to 1 (diamonds). Congos are BIG! And absolutely stunning-looking. 

so... what's your opinion of the best, showiest, most fabulous  tetra. It's our job to make this decision impossible for @FLFishChik 🤣

On 3/26/2024 at 8:31 AM, Tony s said:

so... what's your opinion of the best, showiest, most fabulous  tetra. It's our job to make this decision impossible for @FLFishChik 🤣

Haha :) I'm not into tetras in general, but I'd say congos are the prettiest of them all. They school tight too, unlike diamonds. Congos are also very peaceful, never bother another species, but sometimes males chase each other. Another advantage is they photograph well, again, unlike diamonds which are almost mirror- reflective.  I also think both species look their best in a very dark tank, like mine here had  both black background and black substrate and the colors really  shined. 

congo-tetras.jpg.3e9a1ad31d0a99e2fe0bf61e5c3edb02.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 8:50 PM, Fonske said:

I'd say congos are the prettiest of them all

And now we're back to @FLFishChik first choice. so..... diamonds and congos🤣

they're really both stunning fish. I went with marble and koi angels for my first 75. my wife's favorites. and mine. but man can they turn into anger monsters when they're on eggs

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 8:57 PM, Tony s said:

And now we're back to @FLFishChik first choice. so..... diamonds and congos🤣

I’m sticking with Diamonds😂 that’s my final answer… maybe… 

only issue with Congo is only the males are showy and they get bought unsexed😞

good thing I have a black background and black substrate 

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Love 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:02 AM, FLFishChik said:

I’m sticking with Diamonds😂 that’s my final answer… maybe… 

How about adding some Golds or Silvertips as well? 😄
Just kidding, diamonds will look fabulous on their own