Oto help and intro

My first post was on the  General Board about a growth on a Otocinclus. 

So this is my introduction to all.

I started in the hobby in around 1958, stayed with it until around the mid 70's until life got in the way. Four years ago I got the itch. I stated with a 10 gal knowing smaller is usually tougher. It went slow and great. Peramters are great, have never had to clean the glass, gravel vac. My subsand filler probably has a lot to do with it. Humility has set in as a 4 month old 29 gal is struggling with Diatoms, heavy Diatoms. All the normal suspects have been addressed, sooooo only time will well. I enjoy reading sites like this, it reminds me of the issues, fun, calmness, etc this hobby provides. Also helps me be patient, and give things time. 

Hi to you all,

Dave Spangler  Tampa Bay Florida 

• Like 2

Hello, my fellow Floridian! Welcome to the forums! You’re going to love it here! Such a wide range of hobbyists here from “Brand spanking new to the hobby” to “Seasoned & Experienced Veterans with Decades of Knowledge” and everything in between! Everyone does their best to be helpful , informative and encouraging! Glad you found us!

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1

Welcome to the group! Lots of better minds here can share insight regarding the Diatoms if you’re concerned. As for me though, all I can say is “hello”. There are a lot of fine and helpful folks here. Crazy talented too.

• Like 1

Like @Chadsaid, I can say “hi” and “welcome to the forum”. People will chime in here and I know will help you. BUT, if you are talking about brown diatoms, and it is heavy and it the diatoms are every where, then you got a classic cased of a new set up tank going through diatoms, it happens to almost every tank at some point, I have a 5g that is 1 year old and still has it but that does not mean yours will be that long of diatoms @Dave Spangler, hope that helps. Time will tell. 

Welcome!

Does you new 10 gallon have sand substrate?

I've read that sand tends to cause a the to be a lot of silicates in the water initially which can cause diatoms

Edited by Schuyler
  • Like 1

Again the new tank is four month old and gal. I also have a 10 gal that is almost 5 years old. The 10 is seasoned, and very clear. I have not cleaned the glass in the 10 for 4 years. 

Recently I moved some Bolbitis from the 29 to the 10. The heavy infestation of diatoms on the Bolbitis was gone in 2 days.  The 29 was started with Java fern, and Anubias Nana, filter media, and water from the 10. See my frustration????

On 3/25/2024 at 9:17 AM, Dave Spangler said:

Recently I moved some Bolbitis from the 29 to the 10. The heavy infestation of diatoms on the Bolbitis was gone in 2 days.  The 29 was started with Java fern, and Anubias Nana, filter media, and water from the 10. See my frustration????

That sounds like the 29 probably has some nutrient excess that the diatoms use and when the plant was moved the diatoms starved.

Here's a handy chart someone on here shared a while back:

1726486397_EIDosingandcommonAlgea.jpg.30cfce9788bf8f6ce907d041d8f3c2b1.jpg.1ea66a5ca3c318aaf675b629d7352218.jpg.57b0c6adb19ed2334e8528d61ba26e1f.jpg

• Like 1

My 10 gal has higher Nitrates, Phosphates, and some easygreen. That's the tank I put the Bolbitis into. The diatoms were gone off It in two days. There are some root tabs, and a small amount of "RioEscuro-F" substrate for the Crypts in the 29 gal., but again testing doesn't show anything abnormal. 

• Like 1