Leveling Mat too small?

I got my first rimless tank and I ordered a leveling mat with it.

It seems to be about 1/32 of an inch short on every side, even after I tried my best to position it. Is this an issue?

Could it have shrunk because it was cold? It’s still warming up, I only brought it inside 20 minutes ago.

IMG_3181.jpeg.bfce2cd59f2e9a13323afeec4003cb58.jpeg

On 3/21/2024 at 5:00 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I got my first rimless tank and I ordered a leveling mat with it.

It seems to be about 1/32 of an inch short on every side, even after I tried my best to position it. Is this an issue?

Could it have shrunk because it was cold? It’s still warming up, I only brought it inside 20 minutes ago.

IMG_3181.jpeg.bfce2cd59f2e9a13323afeec4003cb58.jpeg

I can't imagine that that tiny overhang will cause any issues. The mat's purpose is to smooth out any imperfections or small bits on the stand that may cause pressure points on the bottom pane of glass, and that mat is still accomplishing that goal. I think you're fine.

• Like 1

IMG_3182.jpeg.9c89e6edeadfd70703829afdecda9bd3.jpeg

I’m not sure my picture is really showing how big the difference is. This picture shows the most extreme difference I could see, but it’s similar on every side. I am worried that the sides are not properly supported. Do you still think it is ok?

It probably is just fine. But more than likely, You could take the tank off and pull the sides evenly and get your extra 1/4 inch. Especially if it’s come up to room temperature. But it should be fine anyway 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:55 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Do you still think it is ok?

In a word: yes. If it were me, I would just use it and not think twice. But I don't know your budget and patience, and I do know that this is supposed to be a fun and relaxing hobby, so if replacing the mat is going to give you peace of mind, then maybe you should replace it. But yes, I think the mat is just fine as-is.

• Thanks 1

I agree with everyone that it will be just fine. The one thing I would worry about is water being trapped in the void. Depending on the finish of your stand that may or may not be a concern. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:02 PM, DaveO said:

I agree with everyone that it will be just fine. The one thing I would worry about is water being trapped in the void. Depending on the finish of your stand that may or may not be a concern. 

That's a fair point! Heaven knows I've splashed my fair share of water around all of my tanks!