My goldfish is losing scales and is turning red

bpowell487

My young telescope goldfish has been losing scales and looking more and more red over the course of a week. 

The goldfish shares a 40 gallon with two other young goldfish, three baby banded gudgeons and a betta fish.

Temp is kept between 70-72 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Little nitrates.

7.2-7.6 ph

Very hard water 

Moderate to high buffer 

My plant load keeps nitrates way down. 

I’ve given one dose of Maracyn. All other inhabitants are doing just fine. 

Help!!image.jpg.92a44127f3f8a62549b0320b87c1dd07.jpgimage.jpg.af63a5a7e8af71eda1a5862e8afd5da9.jpg

Looks like a bacterial infections you would want want to do a full course of maracyn following the instructions on the box and add an extra air stone during treatment 72°F is to cold for Bettas that can compromise the Bettas immune system leave them susceptible to secondary infection fin and body rot Bettas do best at 80-82 I would get 5 or a 10 gallon tank for you betta move him and raise the temperature gradually to 82°F him @bpowell487

The betta seems to be doing just fine. If he’s active and intact, why change his surroundings? 

Aquarium co-op suggests to use maracyn differently than what’s directed on the box. I’m leaving to go out of town Saturday. If I dose now, leave medication in for a bit over a week, do you believe there will be detriment? Or will there be more detriment to said fish if I do nothing. 

On 3/21/2024 at 2:32 PM, bpowell487 said:

Aquarium co-op suggests to use maracyn differently

that's for their quarantine trio. you're way beyond that now. follow the directions on the box very closely as this is an active infection. without the meds given by package directions your fish could decline rapidly. maybe have a helper give the meds on the days you can't?

On 3/21/2024 at 2:32 PM, bpowell487 said:

The betta seems to be doing just fine. If he’s active and intact, why change his surroundings?

Yeah, goldfish are cold water animals. bettas are tropical. your fish, your choice. but cold temps for a betta causes severe stress and eventual deterioration. sorry

• Like 1