26 Gallon Tank Planted Journal

This tank info was moved from the intro thread to here.

Hi, I’m new to the hobby and just got to the point of adding fish 2 days ago! It’s been good so far other than the  two of the corys have passed. Our water parameters are amonia 0 ppm, 0 nitrites, ~15 nitrates and ph of ~7.7. The water temp is 78 degrees and I dropped it to 77 degrees after the second death and reading they like it a little colder. Our tank is planted shown below. I fed them both days about 20 or so beta fish pellets and pressed them below the surface to get them lower. I’m going to get some blood worms tomorrow or live black worms I think it was called. 

What am I doing wrong? I have a pic of the dead fish if that would help. 

IMG_1342.jpeg

On 3/20/2024 at 9:28 PM, Qnash said:

This tank info was moved from the intro thread to here.

Hi, I’m new to the hobby and just got to the point of adding fish 2 days ago! It’s been good so far other than the  two of the corys have passed. Our water parameters are amonia 0 ppm, 0 nitrites, ~15 nitrates and ph of ~7.7. The water temp is 78 degrees and I dropped it to 77 degrees after the second death and reading they like it a little colder. Our tank is planted shown below. I fed them both days about 20 or so beta fish pellets and pressed them below the surface to get them lower. I’m going to get some blood worms tomorrow or live black worms I think it was called. 

What am I doing wrong? I have a pic of the dead fish if that would help. 

IMG_1342.jpeg

IMG_1340.jpeg

IMG_1361.png.c42ba9a7e7aa1638b443dcbb4a992fe7.png

Edited by Qnash
Picture did not load

Looks like you're off to a pretty solid start. That a nice setup you have there.

Can you share a little more detail like:

What size is the tank?

What fish do you have?

20 pellets sounds a bit excessive but the parameters you shared look ok. It could be shock from moving or it could be over feeding.

On 3/20/2024 at 10:13 PM, Schuyler said:

Looks like you're off to a pretty solid start. That a nice setup you have there.

Can you share a little more detail like:

What size is the tank?

What fish do you have?

20 pellets sounds a bit excessive but the parameters you shared look ok. It could be shock from moving or it could be over feeding.

The tank is 26 ish gallons the curved front makes it an estimate it was a gift. 

10 neon tetras

6 Corry catfish (2 deceased)

On 3/20/2024 at 7:23 PM, Qnash said:

The tank is 26 ish gallons

I guess if I was paying attention I would have seen that in the title...

Based on what you've said the only thing that you've done "wrong" is maybe overfeeding but with those parameters that wouldn't have killed them in 2 days

It could have been stress from moving to a new tank. If you floated the bags and let them come to the same temperature before asking them to the tank then maybe there was someone going on with them before you got them.

Hopefully the rest stabilize and you don't have any more losses

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:29 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

As Captain Picard said, "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not weakness. That is life."

Wow, that’s a great quote and perfectly fits fish keeping too! Most people I see, say I did everything right and something went wrong but that is how it is in this world. Just make sure that you don’t overfeed @Qnash,we all do it, I am not trying to say you maybe were, but that causes excess ammonia and ammonia will eventually kill the fish if not noticed. 

Update: We got 8 more Corey catfish and 5 more tetras. We lost three tetras in the first three days. I did not think of counting them. Whoops! I just hope we can keep most all of them alive. I will post a picture tomorrow after I can turn on the light and they are more acclimated!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sick Cory Catfish! I keep having Cory’s die. Water parameters are good. Temp is good. I’m doing a waterchange. Pic below. Any ideas?IMG_1386.jpeg.c3ca09892e882de18ec9a4f02b4598af.jpegIMG_1389.png.fca2dfa81a1ffb960d844eead93aaa51.png

Edited by Qnash

Update: I just found out that the phosphorus in my tap water is over 10ppm. This test was don’t at my local fish store. The master freshwater kit does not have that so I did not realize it was happening! I think causing deaths. I got searchem phosguard. I will let you know if it works. I don’t know the best way to fix this long term any suggestions?