Conservation Journal

Conservation Journal -- started March 19th, 2024

Introduction

This journal is not directly related to aquariums or fishkeeping, but the concepts will overlap! My hobbies are deeply rooted in forestry, so I figured I may as well share some of these things. One of my favorite places in the world is a wetland and pond, my favorite camping spot has miles worth of wetlands, and my dream house will be a dream house if it has a pond in it. 

However, our wetlands are being depleted severely. Wetlands are often some of the most biodiverse ecosystems -- a turtle snaps at a damselfly that darts above, landing on cattails. Two wood ducks work creating their nest deep in the sedges. A raccoon catches a chub along the shore, while tadpoles and fish fry dance below the floating crowfoot. The world is so beautiful and I want to expand it. Humans are capable of creating and destroying... rather than destroy the forests, why not expand them? We have a duty to protect the vulnerable, and the forests and the critters that live within them are incredibly vulnerable. 

Topics discussed in this journal may include dendrology (trees), ecology (ecosystems), entomology (insects), ichthyology (fish), botany (plants), ornithology (birds), etc... anything related to nature!

Entry One - March 19th, 2024

Tree Plantings & Dendrology 

While in my garden, I noticed some maple seedlings were upright on top of the soil on one of my beds. I then discovered these seedlings had sprouted roots and were growing itsy bitsy maple trees!

My house is in an urban area, but directly behind my fence is a natural creek & wetland and wildlife preserve. I have a blast playing and studying this area, especially since it's right behind my house! On a slope line, there are several bigleaf maple trees -- a very important tree species for wildlife. Not only are these trees beautiful, the huge leaves provide cover and hide for birds making their spring mating nests. Natural crevices and holes provide homes and nests for owls, birds, bats, rodents, insects, and the ever-so-amazing Northern flying squirrel. 

I have had a great and quite humorous occurrence with one of these flying squirrels. This was perhaps a year ago... Initially, I mistook the critter for an opossum. Seeing what I thought to be an opossum chowing down on my suet feeder, I grabbed a flashlight and flashed it through my window, trying to get a better look at whether or not the animal was sick or hurting another critter. However, when I did this, I saw a squirrel scurry up the tree and then fly through the air! I hadn't known flying squirrels lived in my area, and I was so amazed to see the critter. 

Because of my amazing wetland behind my yard, we also have many bats and owl species. Great Horned Owls sing me a long concert every single night, and if I'm ever outside by the fire, sometimes I'll be lucky enough to look up and see little brown bats flying in flocks above. Gosh, the world is so beautiful.

BACK TO MAPLE TREES! Bigleaf maple has a great seed dispersal mechanism. The seeds are attached in pairs, and when they fall, they create a helicopter-like propeller blade that allows them to glide safely (and farther) to the ground. The base of the seedling has tiny hairs... If you've ever been unfortunate enough to pick one up, you know just how sharp the fuzzy needles are. This helps the seed cling to the substrate, as bigleaf maples are angiosperms & deciduous, they drop their leaves and have a dormant winter. This creates a massive leaf litter along the forest floor, which can be slimy or flaky or dry or soggy depending on the conditions... to ensure new saplings grow, the hairs cling to the forest floor regardless of the texture. The seedling begins to push roots toward the bottom, and once the sapling is ready, it drops the seed casing and begins to grow!

These seeds are important food sources for squirrels (such as our amazing resident, the Douglas squirrel, and the recently-named-Endangered Western Grey Squirrel) and other rodents. 

So, with their helicopter like mechanisms, these seedlings must've hopped about fifteen feet to my soil. I obviously didn't want them to grow in my garden bed, but I will never have the heart to kill a tree. So... in the bedroom they went to! My room has an amazing South-facing window that receives zero shade throughout the day, making it great for saplings who like to be cozy in the sunlight. I repotted them in mostly the soil from the bed (as I didn't want to cause that many drastic changes) but added some eggshells & compost for nutrients. Then I plopped some bark chips for mulch, and now I have seven baby trees in my window!

I do not know where these trees will be planted when they reach the transplanting age... however, that is a bridge I will cross when I get to it. I have worked with a few parks in my region to remove invasive species (cough, cough, Himalayan Blackberry...), so perhaps I could distribute my trees to those areas when they're older. We will see. But I can ensure that these trees will not only go into a great forest, but that they will help capture carbon, protect our soil from erosion, provide food for rodents, housing for countless animals, shade, beauty, nutrients, and more. I likely will not live to see these trees at their fully mature, adult life stages... but I can dream of a future full of trees and forests. AND WETLANDS, OF COURSE!

Composting

I was playing out in my wetland behind my house, and kept finding these amazing (and massive) branches that had fallen from red alders. Red Alder is my spirit tree, and they bring me so much joy to see them, feel them, or even step on one of their cones and scream in pain. Because of my connection with alders, I have wayyyyy too many sticks from them. 

I leave most of the sticks I like and only take the select few that I love. We have big animals around here, like Great Horned Owls, so I definitely do not want to deplete nesting resources. However, sometimes I find a stick and I am just in love with it. I found this stick under some dead leaves, and it was partially rotting. But something about it touched me, and I just loved this stick. SO... I hauled it to my backyard and received strange looks from my mom, and began to remove the cork and cork cambium to begin preserving this piece. I use salt water and a potato peeler to do this, plus my hands. This piece was so moist and rotting I did not need the salt water! The bark came right off. There were so so so so many springtails and isopods living within it!! I got them all out before rinsing, and they are now residents in my backyard (they probably left back to the wetland, haha)! I love bugs and got to hold a really cute millipede (it bit me) and found an adorable snail. We have a lot of invasive snails here in the Pacific Northwest, so seeing a native robust lancetooth snail made me so happy! I held him for at least a minute. My brain really wanted to keep him as a pet, but I know he lives in the woods and enjoys it outside, so I returned him back to the pile of decaying leaves he came from. 

Anyway... after peeling the bark, I soaked it in boiling water for five minutes, then I broke it down into tiny bits. I mixed it into my compost bin and bam! Not only did I have a great amazing perfect stick, but I also added some great decaying matter to my soil. Hooray!

- - - - - - - - -

• Like 3

Entry Two - March 20th, 2024

Vegetative Propagation of Pacific Yew

Today, I went to one of my favorite parks nearby. This park is about a twenty minute drive. It has a total of four miles of hiking trails, river access, beautiful viewpoints, and so so so many trees. It is a lovely slice of nature to explore.

While I was there, I discovered a new Pacific Yew tree!

A few weeks ago I discovered a Pacific Yew, about a mile into my walk. This poor tree was so unhealthy. Pacific Yews have extensive root systems, bigger than most any other tree. And, while the wood is very hard and strong, trees like to have their roots untouched. This poor tree was right by a high-traffic area, meaning its roots were very likely stomped on and ran on. This will not only weaken a root system --and make it more susceptible to root rot, bugs, and disease-- but can break off large pieces of the roots. It can also just be a disturbance in the exchange of sugars and water from the phloem & sapwood to the roots.  This tree also had bark beetles clearly burrowing within it. The tree was getting way too much sunlight, and was generally in a nutrient-deprived soil made up almost purely of compact sand. Pacific Yews usually grow on and seem to like rocky, gravelly soils, but this seemed almost pure sand with little of anything able to provide needed nutrients. The poor thing just really needs some tender-loving care, because there are only two Yews in the entire park (I confirmed this with a ranger). Yews are incredibly slow growing, so while the Douglas-firs towered high into the air, this Yew, only standing about seven meters, was very likely older than the other gymnosperms in the woods.

Seeing this tree a few weeks ago, I have since been on a hunt to find the second one. And today I did! This tree was doing so much better. It is deeper in the trail (and a little off-trail, too!) so it is a much less traveled area. The soil is sandy, but fertile and moist. It was actually growing out from a crevice of a Douglas-firs trunk! I would bet this provides much needed nutrients too.

Like many yews, this tree was wonky-looking! Its trunk split into three major codominant stems. The first was not doing great. It had lots of aphids sucking its sap and many many bark beetles crawling about it. The poor bark was stripped away very very much, and one part of the stem was decaying. The other stems were amazing and breathtaking. They were healthy, sporting cute ragbag lichens here and there. Their branches were hardy, dense, and prolific! I could spy the beginnings of some male cones beginning to form too. It made my day!

Finally, to add a lovely cherry on top (or maybe we could say a lovely female Pacific Yew aril on top!) I noticed a branch on the ground! It was very very tiny. I picked it up, and I took it home! Pacific Yews can sprout vegetatively, like many aquarium plants do. If you plant the trimming and give it good care, it can grow into a new tree! So, in addition to my Bigleaf Maples, I have Pacific Yew, too!

I know they take years to begin growing noticeably, but hopefully I will be lucky and have a yew tree in a few years. I am so happy today!

I did not get any photographs, but trust me... I will return to that Yew tree. When I do snap a photo, I will be sure to share!

• Like 1

"let’s talk plants, aquarium plants mainly unless…..you just want to talk about nature and no aquariums….not sure.."

@Whitecloud09 Yes! I will talk about any and all plants, aquatic or not. Botany is botany whether they're terrestrial, aquatic, or amphibious. My nerdy scientific knowledge on plants is pretty restricted to plants in my area, as that is my passion and ergo field of study. My area is the Pacific Northwest, which includes British Columbia (Canada), Washington State (United States), Oregon (United States), some parts of California (US) and Idaho (US), and sometimes the Yukon (Canada) and Alaska (United States.) However, I love all plants and can chat about plants from elsewhere too! My knowledge on tropical aquatic plants is um... quite bad. But I love to learn!

• Love 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:37 PM, clownbaby said:

@Whitecloud09 Yes! I will talk about any and all plants, aquatic or not. Botany is botany whether they're terrestrial, aquatic, or amphibious. My nerdy scientific knowledge on plants is pretty restricted to plants in my area, as that is my passion and ergo field of study. My area is the Pacific Northwest, which includes British Columbia (Canada), Washington State (United States), Oregon (United States), some parts of California (US) and Idaho (US), and sometimes the Yukon (Canada) and Alaska (United States.) However, I love all plants and can chat about plants from elsewhere too! My knowledge on tropical aquatic plants is um... quite bad. But I love to learn!

Ok, that’s cool! Yeah I just got into plants but can tech you some things if you want a planted tank!!! Your knowledge is incredible on all those things mentioned above!!!! Would you like for me to teach you some plant basics to get started on your first plants? Oh my bad, idk if you have them….I guess you probably have them, sorry I got excited about teaching about plants, I love to help with fish stocking, the cycle of a tank, and also plants!!!! I love fishkeeping!!!! Let’s talk plants anyways then, that is, if your interested @clownbaby!

@Whitecloud09

Hi! Yes, I have two plants (in a thirty gallon... it looks so sad.) I have killed most of them ☹️ I had three Java Ferns (I planted them in the substrate ... rookie mistake. I know better now), Vallisneria that I killed, and Mint Charlie that I killed. I got the Amazon Sword plant about a month and a half ago, it is doing great! It's even making new baby leaves. I also have ludwigia ovalis, and it is making new leaves and thriving as well!

My substrate is made up of clay beads, peat moss, decaying leaf litter, organic soil, and crushed lava rock, and then it's capped off with inert substrate (pebbles.) So I am pretty sure it's nutrient-rich. Once money is a little less tight I do plan on buying some easy green! I do really want a lush, heavily planted tank. 

I also am looking into floaters. I'd like some red root floaters, but I also want another green floater too... but I don't know what to choose. OH YEAH! I plan on getting honey gouramis, and I hear they are pretty shy and like to hide. Can you recommend any easy-care plants that do best in high light conditions (around six to eight hours a day)? I want them to be kinda fluffy and very dense with lots of cover. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 7:26 PM, clownbaby said:

I also am looking into floaters. I'd like some red root floaters, but I also want another green floater too... but I don't know what to choose. OH YEAH! I plan on getting honey gouramis, and I hear they are pretty shy and like to hide. Can you recommend any easy-care plants that do best in high light conditions (around six to eight hours a day)? I want them to be kinda fluffy and very dense with lots of cover. 

Yeah Java fern is not my best either, I have in a 10g I have, micro sword, Pearl weed, anubias nana, Java fern, and moneywort so far!!!!

On 3/20/2024 at 7:26 PM, clownbaby said:

@Whitecloud09

Hi! Yes, I have two plants (in a thirty gallon... it looks so sad.) I have killed most of them ☹️ I had three Java Ferns (I planted them in the substrate ... rookie mistake. I know better now), Vallisneria that I killed, and Mint Charlie that I killed. I got the Amazon Sword plant about a month and a half ago, it is doing great! It's even making new baby leaves. I also have ludwigia ovalis, and it is making new leaves and thriving as well!

My substrate is made up of clay beads, peat moss, decaying leaf litter, organic soil, and crushed lava rock, and then it's capped off with inert substrate (pebbles.) So I am pretty sure it's nutrient-rich. Once money is a little less tight I do plan on buying some easy green! I do really want a lush, heavily planted tank. 

Ok, totally just messed that quote up top up!!! 😂. I was trying to quote different parts of your post and…yeah didn’t work, your not the only one that is new to the forum! (Well I have been here a for a good 2 months and have made a lot of posts but I still make mistakes but anyway for high light floater plants I suggest MONEYWORT!!! It would not seem like it but mine broke on accident and one chunk I left floating and the other planted! For another floater Monte Carlo is great, also if you just want high light plants, Java fern gets pretty huge but takes a LONG TIME to grow so, some might include, valisernaria, also hornwort gets crazy quick, kinda tired at the moment so will think of more tomorrow lol. But yeah there is some options, also if you get the honey I would go with a duo of them so they can feel a bit more safe. @clownbaby, that’s my 2 cents LOL!!! But those are some good ones, like valisernaria is awesome, it is like a JUNGLE in an aquarium!

Entry Four - March 22nd, 2024

[to be edited when i return]

Today, I headed to a nearby small pond in my town. My town was actually a massive peatland & bog with many naturally occurring lakes, streams, and ponds... but when settlers wanted to build a town for the fur trade, they began removing these wetlands. And there wasn't a small wetland, it was around six miles of wetland. It makes me very sad knowing this is the case, as peatlands and bogs are some of our most effective carbon captures, storing up to three times more carbon than the world's rainforests. 

A peatland is a waterlogged, nutrient-deficient wetland, characterized by sphagnum moss species. These soils -- commonly called peat soils -- are so waterlogged that they prevent plant matter from fully decomposing, which also leads to low-oxygen and low-nutrients. Because the plant matter cannot fully decompose, it doesn't release CO2. 

Peatlands have been decimated, as they have been overharvested (mainly for gardeners, who enjoy peat soil's acidity and ability to retain moisture) and filled in (mainly for urban and commercial development.) 

To be extended... now I go play in my local wetland. I will share what cool species I find!

• Like 1

Entry Five - March 24th, 2024

New saplings!

Today, I visited a very close family friend. She wasn't feeling very good, so my mama and I brought her an umbrella tree and a christmas cactus (both are house plants) for a sympathy gift. She wouldn't accept this as a gift, and insisted we did a plant trade. However most of her house plants were succulents, which my mom does not love. However, this friend also volunteers for a conservation group. She disappeared into her greenhouse for a minute and returned with an Alaska Yellow-cedar and an unknown tree...

Alaska Yellow-cedar

Yellow-cedar is a tall conifer, reaching heights over 40 meters (130 feet)! These trees have some of the oldest ages, up to 1,800 years old... they grow on wet, even boggy sites; most often occurring on bog edges or transitioning bog-forests. Alaska Yellow-cedar grows and thrives in our temperate rainforests, but western redcedar typically outcompetes it on fertile & open sites. This may be why yellow-cedar tends to grow in peatlands -- not many other trees can survive (at least above shrubby heights), making very little competition for Alaska yellow-cedar.

cedarlandscape.jpg.aca290fb482b6145c02cbc7437e7e101.jpgSome people jokingly call these trees "Dr. Seuss Trees," due to their weeping appearance. They are very popular in landscaping, because their growth is pretty slow. That being said, their germination rate is overall pretty despairing -- under 20% of seeds germinate. Additionally, their old-growth & mature appearance is quite rigid. Callioptris-nootkatensis-bark-225x300.jpg.363562d60a2dd70f71f23dd8704a4484.jpgThe bark is sharp, flaky, and shaggy; the needles are often sharp and prickly. The cones are cute and small: they begin as whitish-blue 'berries' and mature to woody cones. This provides some (but not much) food for birds & squirrels. The most important food source to wildlife is the bark. Ungulates (moose, deer, elk, etc) use the naturally peeling bark as browse, and Kodiak bears remove the bark to eat the sweet sap. 

My sapling is perhaps 8 months old -- about one foot tall with eight total needle-branches, a simple root system, and very few bark peels. It has been adapting well to being transplanted! I used a soil of sand, organic compost, lawn-clippings, some moss, and acidic additives (coffee grounds, pine needles, oak leaves, alder bark). The last three inches of the soil was pre-made potting soil from the store, finished with bark mulch and some moss for retaining moisture.

The unknown tree... 
This was a fun mystery! I looked at the leaves, and my first hunch was black hawthorne, due to the leaf shape.CrataegusdouglasiileGIXTA.jpg.44cca9a2e0fc616ecaa362be9e770e11.jpg However, the leaf is deciduous and just started blooming, so I had a hard time identifying it. The bark was very immature, but it did lack the red-brown tone of a hawthorne's bark. I pondered the ideas, and honestly just had no clue... even now, I have an unsure mystery on my hands!

The tree is just way too immature to know. However, when I was repotted it, I noticed some actinomycete nodules growing on the roots! The world sang upon me: this may be a red alder sapling! Red alder is my spirit tree, and I adore these trees so so so so so so much! However, many trees can grow nitrogen-fixing bacteria, so again: it is a mystery...

UPDATE ENTRY: MARCH 26TH 2024

They both have been growing very well! The cedar is adapting better than the mystery sapling, but both are surviving and thriving! Hooray!

• Like 2

Entry Six - March 27th, 2024

My seeds came in the mail!

Just a quick note to write down the birthday of my Ponderosa Pine seedlings! They are germinating now... I hope at least one sprouts (I have nine!) I got them from Tree in a Box, a great company! My previous seeds died and I wrote them a whole four years later asking for a replacement (which they guarantee) and hoorah, they indeed sent me replacement seeds!

Woo-hoo!!!!!

• Like 3

On 3/27/2024 at 2:41 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Here is something I hate, POLON!!!! If that is even how you spell it lol

NOOOOO!!! Pollen is great for the world! 

I am so so so lucky I have so few allergies to outdoor stuff. Give me some fresh-cut grass and I will gladly roll around in it. Oh, what's this, you say? There is fresh blossoms littering the lawn? Sounds great!!! I will inhale that glady!! Oh, and wait, there is poison ivy and poison oak too?! Well, no problem, I have zero reaction to them!! 

Pollen is really cool actually. Pollen is used for... well, pollination. Pollen is made up of many substances, but they include male gametes -- plant sperm. When traveling, whether through the air or by a bug or other unsuspecting victim, the gametes land on the pistil of another flower. The pistil contains the female ovary. The sperm and ovary combine, and fertilize the plant! This then produces a fruit or seed. This is why pollinators (bees, flies, butterflies, ants, and other insects) are so incredibly important to agriculture! Without them, bushes like raspberries and even plants like cucumbers can't produce their lovely foods. 

The type of pollen you seem to hate is wind-loving pollen. This pollen is mainly transferred to the pistil by wind. This is usually the pollen that gives people runny noses and teary eyes, as it's literally in the air. The other type of pollination is via insects. This type of pollen is more common in conifers (gymnosperms), as their seeds are unprotected. The pollen they create is sticky, sweet, and rich in protein, making several species of insects want to snack on them. Ants are some of the biggest contenders. Ants are underappreciated pollinators -- they may do as much pollination as bees do. 

So there is a daily science lesson for you! Hopefully you don't mind too much. And good luck on your allergies! Spring is almost over. 

• Like 2

@clownbaby, I have a big allergy problem with it, nothing against nature, but I’ll say, that is great lessen there!!!! Thanks for that quick lesson on nature!  Spring will be over but, here comes summer! The hottest of seasons, the wasps,  bees hornets NOO!! I alike summer pretty good tho overall, but my fav is fall, a perfect, not super cold, not super warm climate that has awesome looking leafs as well! What is your favorite season @clownbaby?

On 3/27/2024 at 6:00 PM, clownbaby said:

NOOOOO!!! Pollen is great for the world! 

I am so so so lucky I have so few allergies to outdoor stuff. Give me some fresh-cut grass and I will gladly roll around in it. Oh, what's this, you say? There is fresh blossoms littering the lawn? Sounds great!!! I will inhale that glady!! Oh, and wait, there is poison ivy and poison oak too?! Well, no problem, I have zero reaction to them!! 

Pollen is really cool actually. Pollen is used for... well, pollination. Pollen is made up of many substances, but they include male gametes -- plant sperm. When traveling, whether through the air or by a bug or other unsuspecting victim, the gametes land on the pistil of another flower. The pistil contains the female ovary. The sperm and ovary combine, and fertilize the plant! This then produces a fruit or seed. This is why pollinators (bees, flies, butterflies, ants, and other insects) are so incredibly important to agriculture! Without them, bushes like raspberries and even plants like cucumbers can't produce their lovely foods. 

The type of pollen you seem to hate is wind-loving pollen. This pollen is mainly transferred to the pistil by wind. This is usually the pollen that gives people runny noses and teary eyes, as it's literally in the air. The other type of pollination is via insects. This type of pollen is more common in conifers (gymnosperms), as their seeds are unprotected. The pollen they create is sticky, sweet, and rich in protein, making several species of insects want to snack on them. Ants are some of the biggest contenders. Ants are underappreciated pollinators -- they may do as much pollination as bees do. 

So there is a daily science lesson for you! Hopefully you don't mind too much. And good luck on your allergies! Spring is almost over. 

@Whitecloud09 oh, that is an EASY question!! My favorite season is... SPRING!!!! Growing plants is the best right now. Seeds have had time to germinate, hibernate, and now they can propagate!!! That's why I have so many trees right now. It's a great time to sow the seeds and help them grow. Plus, I love the smell of pollen, so it's heaven for me. Bugs come out, and I love to see bumblebees and all insects - I LOVE bugs. I am just about to fix up my "nature table" (as my mom calls it!). It is basically a makeshift little terrarium tank I have built. It is about maybe ten gallons?

This next week is Spring break, so I am going to go up to some of my favorite forests to harvest some moss (I won't take much, do not worry!). Then I will simply plant the mosses in my terrarium, let it grow for a week or two, and then I get to go bug hunting!! I've raised Beller's ground beetle eggs in there last year, which was such a treat. (They're an endangered species! It was very rewarding and super cool to learn about.) I love collecting snails and slugs. For context, I only keep bugs for a few days at most. It's more of a way for me to study them... I always release them, treat them well, provide food and water and safety. 

Additionally, the birds!!! BIRDS!!! I LOVE birding and it is the best time of the year to go out in the woods with binoculars and say 'wow, look, a bird'! So many bird species are coupling, mating, feeding, and migrating! Watching the male courtship behavior of Mallard ducks is honestly one of my favorite pass-times. Red-wing blackbirds are emerging, the chickadees begin to sing even louder, Robins build their nests... Anna's hummingbird is a lovely treat on the early Utah honeysuckle blooms, and Northern flickers peck at snags looking for ants and larvae. I love watching birds! The only downside is during spring, it is time to slowly fill your feeder less. It's better for the survival of birds to have them rely on spring fruits and seeds that are naturally around. When feeders are empty, even more-so herbivore birds will forage for fresh earthworms, which is an important protein that will help them lay viable, strong eggs. However, I do sometimes fill a feeder with mealworms during the spring and summer, and it's great to watch! I'm sure the hatchlings like it, too. 😊

Toads, frogs, reptiles, garter snakes popping up from the ground. New birds, new flowers. I love it all! Spring is a lovely time for me. I just wish I didn't have SCHOOL!!!! I'd rather be playing outside!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Entry Seven - April 8th, 2024

Update on my saplings

Well, I've got a lot to talk about. Let's just jump right in! First, to review the trees I have (in order of approximate age):

• Garry White Oak (also referred to as 'Oregon White Oak.') - deciduous, angiosperm. Heavily lobed leaves, acorn fruits. Grows in prairies. Close to one and a half years old.
  • Hawthorn spp. - deciduous, angiosperm. Toothed leaves, spikes, apple-like fruits ... unsure if it is crataegus douglasii or crataegus columbiana; will not be able to distinguish until the tree matures to produce fruit. Both species are native and important food sources for birds & rodents. This tree was planted in March of last year, it already stands about 18 inches tall.
  • Nootka cedar (also referred to as 'Alaska Yellow Cedar') - evergreen, coniferous, gymnosperm. Scaled leaves and rough bark. Almost nine months old, about ten inches tall. 
  • Douglas-fir - evergreen, coniferous, gymnosperm. Needle leaves and iconic cones. Unknown age, but I would guess about six or seven months old. 
  • Pacific yew - evergreen, gymnosperm, male trees coniferous (females produce berry-like seed capsules known as "arils".) Propagated by a clipping of a healthy wild specimen... the stem piece is probably two or three years old, but the parent tree is about 160 years old or so. Even though the stem piece that I planted is the oldest tree, I am including it below the others because I've only personally had the tree for two months. 
  • Bigleaf maple (x5) - deciduous, angiosperm. Massive leaves with 'helicopter'-like seeds. Important food source for squirrels, birds, and rodents. My oldest sapling is four months old, the other four are about three months old. 
  • Ponderosa pine (x9) - coniferous, evergreen, gymnosperm. I received these seeds in the mail two weeks ago; none have sprouted. That is expected, however, as they typically take about four to six weeks to sprout. I only expect one or two of the seeds to sprout, due to Ponderosa pines very small germination rate. 

Garry White Oak

This tree was a very nice surprise. On the side of my house there is a fenced in dog-run, which my family uses as a vegetable garden. It's my job to tend the garden, (as I love it and no one else does!) and in September while I was mulching the beds in preparation for the first frost, I noticed a cute little stick growing from under the fence. The stunning orange leaves with their wavy lobes made it very obvious to me; it was a Garry White Oak tree! Because it was just about to go dormant, I let it be. I did not want to disturb it. 

On the reservation there are many oaks... too many for me to count! When me and my family go up to visit, me and my brother each bring a two-gallon bucket and collect the acorns. This gives us at least a months supply, but leaves thousands more for the wildlife. Steller's Jay eating an acornI put the acorns in our squirrel/Steller's jay feeder. Acorns are:

1. a favorite food of squirrels, rodents, and larger birds;
  2. the more natural food of squirrels, rodents, and larger birds - meaning they are likely better for them & easier to digest than peanuts, which do not naturally grow in the Pacific Northwest
  3. more resistant to the dampness of the Pacific Northwest, making them better for squirrels & rodents to store away. Peanuts are more likely to rot, due to their softer shell that is prone to getting soggy.

I have noticed some of the squirrels in our backyard burying the acorns in the garden, which is both very cute and a little foolish. However, one squirrel must have decided to bury the acorn under the fence, only for it to sprout and grow a tree!

I transplanted the tree into a pot last week, and it has been adjusting very well! I planted in sandy soil with lots of dry organic matter (shredded bark & leaves) to mimic the natural prairie setting these trees thrive in.

Hawthorn spp. 

So, this is a bit of a doozy! I know this tree is a hawthorn, but I do not know whether it is black hawthorn or Columbia hawthorn. The leaves look like black hawthorn, however the tree is so young it truly is hard for me to tell. The bark looks like Columbia hawthorn... however, the tree is so young it truly is hard for me to tell. 

black hawthorn tree with clustered black, berry-like fruitsBlack hawthorn is an incredibly great tree that was a wishlist species for me for a very long time. The fruit is incredibly important for birds, especially our late-summer species. I've also seen cute Douglas squirrels munching on them before! I was on a hike with my brother; this trail was local, about a fifteen minute drive, and had stunning views of waterfalls and the river. It is an amazing old-growth forest with so many diverse plants. We noticed we never saw any grey squirrels, so we assumed they either weren't present in high numbers or they were shy (the latter, likely; dogs frequent the trails off-leash.) However, as we descended and made our way back to the car, we saw an adorable Douglas squirrel in one of the hawthorns! They were eating the berries, and it was so precious. busley_1.feedingalmonds.png.ce22ba9f2793ffd256289402eb769082.pngThe juice was smeared all over their face and they were eating it like an absolute monster!!! The fella must have been about six months old, as it was late-summer and the little thing was tiny. Gosh, I wish I took pictures of that. Here is a different Douglas squirrel I hang out with though! I know feeding wildlife is not the best practice, but this squirrel is fed daily by many different people. I personally feed him once a week... he is basically a domesticated animal that simply lives in the woods. He even knows tricks and his name; his name is Buzzley (or 'Buzz')! In this picture he is eating an almond.

columbiahawthorn.jpg.b36d57b5e86f810824b160b6f3fb1902.jpgHere is the difference in fruits (and leaves) compared to Columbia hawthorn. Once the tree ages, I'll be able to tell which it is! The blooms of the trees are both incredibly similar, and I am not that smart to know the difference. 

Honestly, I have no preference which species it grows to be. Both are native, edible, and important food sources for wildlife. The only minor preference I have is black hawthorn grows bigger and taller than Columbia hawthorn; do I care? Not that much. I just think big trees are prettier... and they do indeed provide more habitat for nesting birds. However, Columbia hawthorn often grows bush/shrub-like, which would provide habitat for ground-dwelling birds, bunny rabbits, rodents, and insects. So maybe I truly don't have a preference!

Nootka cedar

Sadly, not much to comment on. my nootka cedar sapling, it stands about nine inches tall.It is doing well! Here's a picture. I have moved it outside because I was running out of room on my window. But it is adjusting well and is still a lovely tree! My douglas-fir, nootka cedar, hawthorn, and oak on a shelf I built under our deck.While we're at it, here are all of my trees that are outdoors. My dad and I built this shelf in February, it was a fun project. He is teaching me how to work with wood and tools and all that manly stuff... it is really fun and I love it!

Douglas-fir

I was not planning on getting a douglas-fir, but I found this guy on the side of my house very close to the oak, and figured I may as well dig him up!douglas-fir sapling It is bizarre, however, because the closest douglas-fir is 100 feet away and across the stream. Perhaps an animal stored it; I cannot imagine the seed fell there. But I also did not plant it... I was quite shocked to see it. Still, a tree is a tree; I dug it up and transplanted it in soil mixed with some sand, ash, and compost. 

Douglas-firs are quite aggressive spreaders and are quick to colonize a recently burned site. I did want to mimic this, so I added the ash in. They do okay in moist soils, but not wet -- so the bottom most layer is composed of pebbles for drainage and the soil has sand mixed in, again to aid in drainage. 

One peculiar aspect was the tree's weakness. Its stem is not very strong and was falling over even before I dug it up. I tied it to a stick to help support it and train it. Another bizarre feature I took note of was the codominance of stems -- that is, when a tree trunk/stem splits into two (or more) three parts. I am unsure if this is common in saplings; I can confirm just by taking hikes that it is certainly not the most common in mature trees; however, I have seen it a handful of times. Perhaps one stem will prevail and grow taller than the other until the other is drowned for nutrients and light? We will see.

Finally, it did have some root rot and other root diseases. Despite their ubiquitous appearance here in the Pacific Northwest, douglas-fir is prone to lots of diseases. I did cut off the major pieces of roots that were affected with the disease and treated the ends with some light root hormone. Hopefully it will recover.

Bigleaf maple

Originally, I had ten saplings; I now have five. Behind my fence, there is a lovely stand of twelve bigleaf maple trees. They are middle-aged, I'd say, about thirty to forty years old. (Side note: Bigleaf maples are just starting to bloom... it is VERY exciting!!!!) bigleaf maple seed clusterBigleaf maples are obnoxiously prolific. They each produce hundreds of fertile seeds that disperse via a helicopter-like mechanism. That means every February and March we have at least a couple hundred saplings growing in our garden beds. While I was weeding most of them, I selected ten of the healthiest saplings and transplanted them into small planter containers. Two died within the day due to their roots being disturbed; over the next month three more died. Currently one looks as though it is going to die as well. However, one is incredibly healthy and I have full confidence it will continue to grow for many many years. The other three are super healthy as well!

I have a theory that perhaps the overall survival rate of these trees is low. While I did pull up many saplings, I have also seen them naturally die after a month in the garden. At least fifty of these saplings did this. With how many seeds they produce, maybe only the strongest plants can survive to prevent overcrowding and too much competition. Hm... interesting.

Ponderosa Pine (seeds)

No big update on these seeds. None have sprouted, as it's only been two weeks. Ponderosa pines typically take about 4 to 6 weeks to sprout; and even then I only expect about one or maybe two (if I am lucky) to sprout, as the germination rate of ponderosa pine is incredibly low... less than 20 percent. 

Pacific Yew

pacific yew sapling standing at two inches tallI was so, so SO excited to give an update on this one!!! Out of pure curiosity, I gently dug it up six days ago, and it has started to grow an itsy bitsy very tiny hair root from the stem!!!!! I cannot express my joy over this!! I am doing more research (not that there is much information...), but I may move the tree from dirt to water instead. When plants propagate in water, pretty much all of their energy goes into growing bigger roots, not bigger leaves/stems/etc. Which is what I want! These trees are incredibly slow-growing, and I can't control that. pacific yew sapling at 2 inches tall (image 2)However, with them being a threatened species but so incredibly important to wildlife -- and beautiful -- I want to ensure my cutting survives. Having large healthy roots is the best way to ensure this! However, I don't want to accidentally kill it or shock it, so I am trying to do more research. I will update if anything changes. Here is a picture! 

Conclusion

Hey!!! Thanks so much for reading about my trees! And even if you just checked out the pictures or skimmed or even if you didn't read... you are awesome! I am so glad I get to share my passion with the world, and I hope you share yours, too! It means a lot to me just how kind, welcoming, and honest people are - especially that they are honest and kind at the same time. Being in this community has really boosted my self-esteem and helped a bit with my online social anxiety. I know I am rambling off-topic, but I appreciate you all very much. It is great to feel so "okay" being unsure or ignorant about something and then being taught things in a kind way by people of all ages. Thanks for reading! Go outside and PLAY!!! I LOVE playing outside... it doesn't make me "childish" - it makes me free.

Edited by clownbaby
update
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Entry Eight - April 10th, 2024

{quick note} I am researching native evergreen ground covers to replace my lawn with. Ideally at least one ground cover would be tolerant of moderate foot traffic, as I like to play in my yard. So do my dogs 🤩 

update if I find anything!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Entry Nine - April 17th, 2024

On Invasive Aquatic Species

So, I was playing in one of my favorite streams on Sunday (April 14th.) I was having a rough day and my anxiety was killing me so I knew I needed to go take some time for myself. So I did! I put on my rubber boots, pond gloves, and some sunblock and headed down to one of my favorite creeks/streams. It is a pretty fast moving stream for being about a foot or two deep, but has a small shallow beach along one end. It was really fun to see all the copepods and water fleas and--the most exciting part for me--insect larvae! There was an abundance of mosquito larvae, but also some dragonflies and damselflies too. And some cool aquatic worms. But since even the shallow beach has some water movement, there isn't an abundance of species.

Well, animal species.

I was really taken a-back to see so many invasive aquatic plants! Diverse-leaved water starwort (Callitriche platycarpa) was growing like crazy and so was bog pondweed (Potamogeton polygonifolius)! Additionally, CREEPING JENNY!!!!! 😡😡😡 UGH! I HATE THAT STUFF! Well... actually, I love that stuff, but not in my native ecosystems!

I started to remove the water-starwort and pondweeds first. Like many aquatic plants, these plants can grow by stem cuttings and runners, so I had to be sure to remove the roots and all the leaves & stems I could find. Which was not easy... but thankfully, the shallow area was super small in comparison to most shallow/slow-moving streams, so it wasn't too much work. The creeping jenny was pretty small, and was easy to take out. 

One bonus about having a planted aquarium is I get to keep some of the plants I remove! This was a positive I didn't realize until my mom told me to put them in my aquarium rather than boil them in vinegar*. I killed most of em, but selected the healthiest specimens to plant in my tank. The starwort is super cute as a floater, and looks a bazillion times better floating in an aquarium than my natural ecosystems! The pondweed looks kinda silly, but kinda cute ?? The creeping jenny is awesome in my tank! My pygmy cories love to lay on the leaves and take naps. It's already starting to send out runners too! A really awesome foreground plant.

I did inspect the plants, and found no signs of eggs or parasites. I rinsed em in some dechlorinated water too... however, while doing so, I found a malaysian trumpet snail ?!?!?!? SUPER INVASIVE!!! That means there are probably LOTS in the stream... which means I'm gonna have to go remove them. 

I did keep the hitchhiking malaysian trumpet snail and let him hang out in my tank. I am pro-snail and I don't mind that much, plus he is a cutie pie ^_^

So... there is one positive to invasive species: I get to put them in my aquarium. 

*easy and sure way to kill noxious weeds... however it does kinda smell.

I have loved reading this journal so far you have an engaging way of writing and inspire passion in the reader to keep our ecosystem's clear of invasive species. Keep up the good work 😀👍

• Love 1

On 4/10/2024 at 12:51 PM, clownbaby said:

Entry Eight - April 10th, 2024

{quick note} I am researching native evergreen ground covers to replace my lawn with. Ideally at least one ground cover would be tolerant of moderate foot traffic, as I like to play in my yard. So do my dogs 🤩 

update if I find anything!

Entry Ten - April 21st, 2024

UPDATE ENTRY!!! Native Ground Covers for the Pacific Northwest Coastal Region (west of the Cascades; however, there will of course be overlap with regions.) - including evergreen, semi-evergreen, deciduous, and walkable/foot traffic ground covers. This is only intended for British Columbia, Washington State, and Oregon. 

I found many native ground covers! Not all of them are evergreen, but I actually want to include some of the non-evergreen ones too. So, I figured I would separate this into categories. Then designate the ground cover to the category to keep it more organized. 

Definitions of these Categories

1) Evergreen shrubby - this is a ground cover option, but it isn't walkable (either due to being too fragile or too painful!). Depending on the species, this may be a low-covering shrub (under a foot / under 30 centimeters) or a tall, thicket-forming shrub. This shrubs has foliage for all seasons, but will likely only flower and/or fruit for one season.

2) Deciduous shrubby - a ground cover option that isn't walkable (either due to being too fragile or too painful!). Depending on the species, this may be a low-covering shrub (under a foot / under 30 centimeters) or a tall, thicket-forming shrub. This shrub loses its foliage during the late fall until spring; however it may retain berries over the winter.

3) Winter interest shrubby - a ground cover option that isn't walkable (either due to being too fragile or too painful!). Depending on the species, this may be a low-covering shrub (under a foot / under 30 centimeters) or a tall, thicket-forming shrub. This shrub will either be inconspicuous during warmer months or may completely go dormant during warmer months. However, during fall and/or winter, it provides lots of ornamental  value and visual interest.

-

4) Evergreen trailing - this category includes all evergreen plants that are non-woody but not for foot traffic. The size may be variable, forming shrubs or very low-growing herbs. The plant is likely not painful, but instead very fragile. Ornamentally these are best used to edge borders or to help form the outskirts of pathways. 

5) Deciduous trailing - this category includes all perennial deciduous plants that are non-woody but not for foot traffic. The size may be variable, forming shrubs or very low-growing herbs. The plant is likely not painful, but instead very fragile. Ornamentally these are best used to edge borders or to help form the outskirts of pathways and to provide visual interest during spring and summer. These plants likely flower.

-

6) Evergreen lawn-alternative - this category includes all evergreen plants that are low-growing (with a maximum height of 1 foot / 30 centimeters) and tolerant of foot traffic, suitable for pathways, borders, garden bed understories, or replacing lawns.

7) Evergreen lawn-alternative - this category includes all perennial deciduous plants that are low-growing (with a maximum height of 1 foot / 30 centimeters) and tolerant of foot traffic, suitable for pathways, borders, garden bed understories, or replacing lawns.

-

bonus #8 - short-lived perennial herbs or annuals - these plants are likely not evergreen, and have a life-span of one season. Some of these plants self-seed, however, and will seemingly be perennials. Biennials or short-lived perennials are also included in this category. I decided to include these as these plants naturally cover the forest understory, and as my goal is to mimic nature, they fit in naturally as a ground cover option.

Additional guidelines for selection - each plant has its own needs. Some plants cannot tolerate certain environments, while some aren't so picky. The symbols below are given to help give a general idea of what established plants need. During the first year of planting plants may require more water, fertilizer, and shade/sun. 

SUNLIGHT GUIDELINES

FS - FULL SUN: at least 6 hours of sunlight per day | PS - PART SUN: up to six hours of sunlight per day; but ideally 2 - 4 hours of sun per day | DP - DAPPLED SUN: receiving sunlight but not direct sunshine for some part of the day and shade in others; ideal for underneath deciduous trees | PSH - PART SHADE: up to 4 hours of sun per day, ideally indirect sunlight; with at least half of the day being shaded | FSH - FULL SHADE: ideally only dappled and/or indirect sunlight with most of the day being shaded. || 

WATERING GUIDELINES

W - WET: soil that is consistently moist, if not soggy; ideal for wetland plants | M - MOIST: soil that is wet but not soggy or muddy; cannot withstand drought but does not need constant water | S - SOME: prefers to dry out before receiving water; can be tolerant of drought depending on species, not tolerant of wet soggy soils | D - DRY: dries out often and does not hold moisture, tolerant and/or prefers drought; unable to withstand wet or even moist soils.

TYPICAL HABITAT (where the plant grows naturally)

Wetland - soil ranges from submerged, wet, or moist; soils are typically rich in clay and organic matter, but can be inorganic and acidic (characteristic of bogs). | Forest - soil is highly organic, likely moist or receiving some water; the species is usually adaptable. | Meadow - open areas, often without any shrubs or trees; soil is variable; full sun to part sun. | Alpine - rocky soils, often clinging/spreading to ledges; usually part sun to full sun, but dependant on species; can be constantly wet due to snow run-off and glaciated environments

EVERGREEN SHRUBBY GROUND COVERS

Salal (Gaultheria shallon) - Forest | occasionally wetland outskirts || M or S || PS ideal - tolerates FS, DP, PSH || up to 5 meters tall, but typically growing under 1.5 meters (four feet); produces edible berries that are valuable to wildlife and a delicious snack for humans. Thicket-forming and spreading, but controllable. 

Evergreen Huckleberry (Vaccinium ovatum) - Forest | Meadow || M or S || FS to PS ideal - can tolerate DP || up to 4 meters tall, but takes well to pruning; produces edible berries that ripen in early autumn and produce until late December, providing a lovely source of food for wildlife. Edible by humans, but some people do not like them. 

Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea subsp. minus) - Forest | Wetland | occasionally alpine || W or M or S || PS or DP but tolerant of PSH and FS conditions || low growing, up to 0.5 meters (one and a half feet) and trailing. Edible berries are valuable to wildlife and can be eaten by humans - however they can be a little tart. The leaves are evergreen but change to a dark, purple-hued green in fall and winter.

Crowberry (Empetrum nigrum) - Wetland | Alpine | occasionally forest (uncommon) || W or M or S; can be tolerant of dry soils || FS or PS, but adaptable species || very low growing shrub, up to 30 centimeters (one foot tall). The leaves are needle-like; produces black berries in small clusters. Bears and birds love the berries; but humans shouldn't eat these to excess. 

Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) - Alpine | Meadow || S or D || FS or PS || a low growing shrub to 30 centimeters with large, red, apple-like berries; edible by humans but rather tasteless. Wildlife appreciates the food. 

Ground Juniper (Juniperus communis) - Alpine || S or D, may tolerate M || FS, PS, DP, may tolerate PSH || - evergreen shrub up to one meter typically, but can grow to 2 meters if left unchecked; needle-like prickly leaves with berry-like cones. Berries may be used in cooking, but you likely won't want to eat them as a snack - maybe just leave them for the wildlife. 

Dull Oregon-grape (Mahonia nervosa) - Forest | Meadow || S or M, may tolerate W (but unlikely) || FS, PS, DP, PSH || - holly-like shrub with sharply toothed leaves. Evergreen, but leaves turn red to purple in fall and winter; yellow berries turn to blue berries. Berries edible, but contain an alkaloid (berberine). Berries should not be eaten by humans in large quantities, but wildlife appreciates them.

- will write more soon.

Entry Eleven - April 25th, 2024

I am a forestry intern now!!

I received an unpaid forestry internship and am now working to restore native habitat at a small local park. For reference, the park is 3 acres, which is pretty small for a habitat rehabilitation project. Regardless, I am super excited to help out!!! I do not plan on going into forestry as of right now, but it is seeming more and more tempting, so this will give me insight on if I would like to pursue it!

Gosh I am so excited...!
mimiczonemap_clownbabyforum.png.25a75950623ba7eaf38d71374fe1bb00.pngHere is a quick mimic map of the park and the zones. I was assigned for surveying and invasive species removal. I am surveying two zones and removing invasive species in three zones. 

For surveying, I will be working in zone 2 and zone 5. For invasive species removal, I am working in 3a, 3b, and zone 4. 

This poor forest is covered in invasives. Here are our "focus" species or species we are working to eradicate first:

• English Ivy (hedera helix) - chokes out trees and creates a dominant ground cover, preventing native wildflowers from growing.
  • Himalayan Blackberry (rubus armeniacus) - extremely painful and invasive. It forms thickets that are impassable and spreads via cuttings, runners, and seed; meaning if you don't remove all the roots, it doesn't go away.
  • Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius) - chokes out native vegetation and reduces habitat and food sources for wildlife.
  • Meadow Buttercup (Ranunculus acris) - spreads by runners and has a powerful root system that makes it hard to remove. Additionally, buttercups in the ranunculus genus have a skin irritant compound, making them unpleasant to remove.
  • Creeping Charlie [Ground-Ivy] (Glechoma hederacea) - a menace. Smells lovely, has great flowers, but is extremely invasive. Thrives in shade, meaning it loves the forest understory.

Non-priority / Secondary species (species that we would like to remove, but are not as important as the priority species)

• Dandelions (Taraxacum spp.) - non-native and weedy; removes growing space for native plants.
  • Yellow-flag (iris pseudacorus) - only one specimen was present, immediately removed. We will be keeping a lookout for more.
  • Purple dead-nettle (Lamium purpureum) - common weed in the Pacific Northwest... yet, it is still non-native, so it's gotta go!
  • Chickweed (Stellaria media) - common weed, but we still want it gone.

My first day was yesterday (Wednesday the 24th!). I mainly removed meadow buttercups and creeping charlie in zone 3a. I cleared a large plot and as the sun was directly on me and it was 80 degrees, I then moved into the shady area of zone 3b and started removing Himalayan blackberry. What a chore... ouch! I barely made a dent in that stuff. 

I ate my lunch by the stream, which was very peaceful. I also heard a very angry Douglas-squirrel who was screaming his angry wrath of blood... also known as defending his territory. Sitting by the stream was amazing. It was shady and misty which was very refreshing, and across the stream in zones 1a and 1b, there were many skunk cabbage plants!!! Skunk cabbage is my FAVORITE plant EVER! So that made me super happy. I finished lunch early, so the head ranger had me begin surveying. I started in zone 2, since that is where I ate my lunch. 

For surveying, she had me note what plants I saw, their habits, their size, presence of flowers or fruits, and any additional notes. The plants I noted were:

• Deer fern
  • Skunk-cabbage
  • Redwood sorrel
  • Maidenhair fern
  • False solomon's-seal
  • Siberian Miner's lettuce
  • Western bittercress
  • Lady fern
  • Trillium [wake-robin] (only two plants)
  • Common water-moss
  • Wet rock moss
  • Various sphagnums 
  • Some rushes/grasses ; I am not skilled enough to Identify these
  • Nootka cedar
  • English Ivy

Of course my notes were more in-depth than that, but you get my point! I also surveyed for any birds or insects that I spotted. Nothing to report there.

Anyway, that ended my day! This will begin to be a biweekly internship, so you will receive many updates on it!!! I am really excited about this!

• Love 2

On 4/25/2024 at 6:28 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I had no idea something as common as a dandelion or deadnettle was invasive. Do you know if these are invasive or native in the midwest?

Something like dandelions and deadnettles aren't "invasive", just non-native. They're widespread weeds that don't threaten native species, which is why they aren't our priority. That being said, both come from Eurasia, not the Americas, so we will pull them up if we see them. They do have benefits to wildlife; purple deadnettle is a plant that honeybees adore! Same with flowering dandelions. But... native plants have more benefits to wildlife.

They aren't a species of worry at all. The reason the forestry project wants them gone is simply so they do not outcompete native wildflowers in our meadow (which is honestly quite unlikely). They will always grow in the Americas whether you remove them or not; invasive ≠ non-native. Certain weeds aren't a threat and are also so widespread, calling them invasive is kinda a waste of time in a sense.

You do not need to worry about these species at all. Remove them if you'd like, but they're not real problems 🙂 I'd say put that energy into your state's noxious weeds! ALSO thank you so much for caring about invasives!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1