Mexican dwarf crawfish with Florida darters?

NickD

I have 2 male and female crawfish with 1 alive and one dead darter, the dead one lost an eye idk how but could the death be caused by the crawfish? Both are ground eaters so they are around each other all the time. 

In my experience CPOs are much more likely to eat the fish once its already dead. I have seen them try to catch a panda cory before but the cory was to strong for them to hold and wiggled away quite easily.  I did see one catch a sick SAE before and be able to hold on but the SAE was barely alive at this point.  Basically I think that its unlikely that the CPO killed the Darter and its more likely that the Darter died and then the CPO ate him.

On 3/17/2024 at 9:17 PM, NickD said:

I have 2 male and female crawfish with 1 alive and one dead darter, the dead one lost an eye idk how but could the death be caused by the crawfish? Both are ground eaters so they are around each other all the time. 

I almost guarantee that the crawfish did it.  They will eat anything that they catch 

On 3/19/2024 at 1:05 PM, johnnyxxl said:

I almost guarantee that the crawfish did it.  They will eat anything that they catch 

I'm not saying you are definitely wrong but have you ever kept a CPO? I have had 3 over the years and they are really small and pretty weak. I only had one actually try to hunt fish and the one time he "got a hold" of a panda cory, it just swam out of his grasp with extreme ease.  Unless I am way off base, Darters are bigger than panda cories so I would be shocked if the CPO could do much with the Darter.

Now after it already died or while it was super weak in the process of dying, I guarantee the CPO took out the eye.

I have a video of my fish literally stealing algae wafers from my CPO with zero fear of it but I'd have to upload it to youtube to share it so I probably won't ever get around to it lol.

Edited by NOLANANO

I'm not an expert on crayfish so take this for what it is. I think a lot of the people commenting here don't realize that a lot of the rules for crayfish in general are not the same for CPO. They aren't typical crayfish. My thoughts is that it died of other causes. 

On 3/19/2024 at 1:20 PM, NOLANANO said:

I'm not saying you are definitely wrong but have you ever kept a CPO? I have had 3 over the years and they are really small and pretty weak. I only had one actually try to hunt fish and the one time he "got a hold" of a panda cory, it just swam out of his grasp with extreme ease.  Unless I am way off base, Darters are bigger than panda cories so I would be shocked if the CPO could do much with the Darter.

Now after it already died or while it was super weak in the process of dying, I guarantee the CPO took out the eye.

I have a video of my fish literally stealing algae wafers from my CPO with zero fear of it but I'd have to upload it to youtube to share it so I probably won't ever get around to it lol.

You might be someone that could answer some questions I had about CPO. I'm going to dm you though so I don't hijack the post. 

On 3/19/2024 at 4:38 PM, johnnyxxl said:

That video is about crayfish in general. CPO are not normal crayfish. The typical answers that work for every crayfish doesn't always fit with CPO. Heck a common tank mate for CPO is shrimp. Ain't no way that shrimp is surviving with other crayfish. CPO are tiny. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1