Any advice on plastic grass setup (goldfish)

I am considering using plastic grass to cover the background of my tank. I know that this may not be a typical aquarium thing, but I bellive it might be very practical with goldfish!

Do you have any suggestions or considerations that I should make, when I choose what type I'll use? Seems like the most affordable option is synthetic lawn grass but some of them are on rubber mats. Also I am based in EU so it is not certain that anything available in the US also can be bought here
  • Like 1

I would be leary of using terrestrial stuff.  The recycled components they are comprised of can be iffy. 
I know penn plax makes plastic breeding short grass mats.  Maybe connecting those would be a safer option.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:34 PM, Guppysnail said:

The recycled components they are comprised of can be iffy

It's interesting, because most of the ones that I have looked at say that they are pet safe. The ones who have replied to my questions though, can't promise that their product won't affect water chemistry in the tank. This of course does not mean that the product will, but rather that they haven't researched it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's a tricky question to answer I am sure! I also expect that there are many types too!
I was looking at this type that has some decent length, and seems to be pretty soft so it won't hurt the fish if they try to find food in it. It seems like it has some rubber underside, that I also am not sure how suitable it would be, to use in fish tanks. Don't people use these for edges of ponds too though?

kunstrasen-lemon-hohe-50-mm-732115_700x.webp.97a7853c7742eea15513e2332929a7ef.webp

The info on the site mentions:

grass material: 100% polyethylene
back side: polypropylene, latex
Free of lead & cadmium free

Edited by EggShappedFish
added info

On 3/19/2024 at 7:50 AM, EggShappedFish said:

latex

This material is going to be an issue, unfortunately. Latex is 100% natural and comes from a tree, which means it degrades quite quickly when it is submerged and can cause water quality issues, as well as algae outbreaks. 

I would recommend sticking with decor that is specifically made for aquariums. There is just too much risk with stuff that isn't meant to be submerged. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1