Dropsy Please Help!

Bonex

Greetings everyone, I'd like to share a little backstory. Recently, my betta fish developed dropsy, and I discovered him yesterday with raised scales resembling a pinecone, which has been quite concerning. I am certain that overfeeding contributed to this issue, as he was voraciously consuming everything from algae wafers to pellets. I noticed his bloated stomach, confirming my suspicion that I caught it in the early stages. Currently, I have moved him to a hospital tank. My research suggests that aquarium salt is effective, so I plan to administer it. However, I seek clarification on the treatment process. Should the aquarium salt remain in the water for 24 hours before a 25% water change, or should I dose the tank with salt, wait a week, then perform a full water change? I am also unsure about when to resume feeding my betta. While I intend to wait before feeding him again, I'm considering light foods such as Repashy gel food infused with Kenaplex. Any advice on these matters would be greatly appreciated!

(I want to take photos but unfortunately even the slightest of lighting he’s hiding)

Aquarium salt at 1 tbsp per 3 gallons for the entire week.  when doing water changes only replace salt to the volume of water you remove. Salt doesn’t evaporate. Adding salt to the tank volume will overdose the salt. Top offs require no salt. 

according to @Colu kanaplex is not readily absorbed via the gut. Better would be Maracyn2 in the food 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

Dropsy can be caused by a number of things such as organ failure parasitic infections internal bacterial infections  the most effective treatment I have found is aquarium salt to help reduce any fluid buildup dose the tank with kanaplex to treat any possible internal bacterial infections and do a course of metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks @Bonex

1000000024.png

On 3/16/2024 at 2:31 PM, Tony s said:

Aquarium salt at 1 tbsp per 3 gallons for the entire week.  when doing water changes only replace salt to the volume of water you remove. Salt doesn’t evaporate. Adding salt to the tank volume will overdose the salt. Top offs require no salt. 

according to @Colu kanaplex is not readily absorbed via the gut. Better would be Maracyn2 in the food 

I’m so sorry trying to get some better clarity. So throughout the week I should preform water changes. I don’t need to add any more salt as it’ll increase the solidity? So sorry, the way you worded this makes me question myself

Water will evaporate and leave the salt behind. So when just adding water to top off the tank ( refilling only) just add plain water. If you need to do a water change. (Pulling water from the tank and refilling) add water and salt back in. But only for the volume you took out. So, if you pull out 3 gallon. Add 1tbsp salt. But follow your medication instructions as to when you’re allowed to do a water change at all