reefhugger

Temp:  73

Am: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 30

PH: 7.8

GH:  145

KH: 130

One of my platys (Fat Momma) has white patches on her head.  It doesn't look like ich to me.  Is it some kind of fungus?  She's in a big tank with others so I also need advice on whether to isolate and treat only her  or the whole tank.  I am worried about a whole tank treatment as I have a ton of Hillstream Loaches, including babies.  I'm grateful for advice on helping my momma fish.   

Platy2-512.jpg

Platy1-084.jpg

Edited by reefhugger
Edited to add tank parameters.

I can’t tell if it’s just me. But it looks like the scales are lifting off of the body. Starting to have a case of bloat possibly. How long has she looked like that? What they call pine coning. At just a beginning stage. But could get worse rapidly. Hoping it’s just the way I’m looking at it 

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:31 AM, Tony s said:

I can’t tell if it’s just me. But it looks like the scales are lifting off of the body. Starting to have a case of bloat possibly. How long has she looked like that? What they call pine coning. At just a beginning stage. But could get worse rapidly. Hoping it’s just the way I’m looking at it 

Yeah just realized the pineconing too, aquarium salt should be the first attempt, that is what I suggest @reefhugger

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 3/16/2024 at 11:31 AM, Tony s said:

How long has she looked like that?

Thanks for the replies.  I do know what you mean about her scales and size.  And yes, she's always looked like she's looked like a tub for a long time...in terms of years.  But I'll watch her closely.  The only real change to her is the white.  That's what has be worried.  I'll put her in a tank and add some salt I think.

• Like 1

If you’re really worried about her. You could run a course of kanaplex of maracyn2 while she’s in the other tank. That should stop any bacterial infections. Fungal infections could be dealt with by dabbing the patch with methylene blue by q tip. With the understanding that I’m not colu and could be wrong. But fuzzy could be something like columnaris or just a bit of fungus.. columnaris being the worse of the 2

• Like 2

With white patches it's always best to air on the side of caution possible columnaris could also be fungal it's difficult to tell off your picture I would do a course of kanaplex  and  aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon  the combination of kanaplex and salt will treat bacterial and fungal infections just remember with salt to only put back in what you take out so if you do a 1 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in as salt only removed though water changes leave the salt for a minimum of 7 days at that level than gradually start to lower it to 1 table spoon for 3 gallons for another week@reefhugger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1