Stocking ideas?

I have asked this a lot and didn’t get a direct answer (don’t get me wrong, u will not get a direct answer every time) because I never directly asked that if you will, like I asked about algae eating fish, shrimp but not FISH if that makes sense, I have five WCMMs currently and kinda want something else IF POSSIBLY, it is a 10 gallon aquarium with softer water, it is COMPLETELY cycled by the fishless version of cycle. I hope I can get some good suggestions and as always, any help is appreciated, thanks in advance 🙂

-Colten

I've never had white clouds, so take this for what it's worth.  I'd imagine they will spawn for you as I think they spawn readily?  So you might end up with some fry in there.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

CPDs are a pretty good fish for a small tank and they are compatible with WCMM temperature range, I believe.  I keep my CPDs at 75, but I think they can go quite a bit cooler than that.

My suggestion for small tanks is always SHRIMP, though.  I'd suggest shrimp above anything else.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2024 at 2:10 PM, jwcarlson said:

I've never had white clouds, so take this for what it's worth.  I'd imagine they will spawn for you as I think they spawn readily?  So you might end up with some fry in there.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

CPDs are a pretty good fish for a small tank and they are compatible with WCMM temperature range, I believe.  I keep my CPDs at 75, but I think they can go quite a bit cooler than that.

My suggestion for small tanks is always SHRIMP, though.  I'd suggest shrimp above anything else.

No that will not spawn, no behavior towards tThat whatsoever which is odd, so probably no fry soon, how many CPDs exactly you think @jwcarlson? I have no Java moss or algae for the shrimp tho lol, idk if that matters but…

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 1:13 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

No that will not spawn, no behavior towards tThat whatsoever which is odd, so probably no fry soon, how many CPDs exactly you think @jwcarlson? I have no Java moss or algae for the shrimp tho lol, idk if that matters but…

If it's planted, the shrimp should be fine.  If it's not it might be more difficult for them to feed properly as they kind of graze constantly.  A bit different than fish.  But there's biofilm and micro algae in your tank either way if it's mature enough.

How many CPDs... 5-10, probably.  I have 10 adults in a 10 gallon and that seems about right.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 2:25 PM, jwcarlson said:

If it's planted, the shrimp should be fine.  If it's not it might be more difficult for them to feed properly as they kind of graze constantly.  A bit different than fish.  But there's biofilm and micro algae in your tank either way if it's mature enough.

How many CPDs... 5-10, probably.  I have 10 adults in a 10 gallon and that seems about right.  

Thanks I wil 100% look into both and make my decision, sorry for the late reply, I was doing something when you commented.

• Like 1

You could try an apisto borelli as a centerpiece fish. Apistos like soft water and borelli are one of the more adaptable species when it comes to ph and temperature. I have a pair in my 10g with shrimp and nano fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you’re looking for just one focus fish, you could do a dwarf gourami. Same parameters as your wcmm. A bit on the larger side for a 10. Slow swimmer , so would be okay in an 10g. Available at the big box stores. Or if you want smaller. A honey gourami. Very peaceful. I’d say another betta, but they like warmer tanks. 

if you’re looking for another small school, cpd’s would be great as jw says, could do 5 green neons or 6-7 chili rasboras which can take the cool temperatures.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 1:27 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thanks! Could you reccomend a good smaller Cory for a 10 gallon? @KaitieG

I had the Habrosus in a 20 gal but looks like they can go smaller than that and that a 10 would be ok.  They're the same size as pygmies.

• Thanks 1

should be good. i have an older 10g with a hodgepodge of animals in it.  4 panda cories. 2 neons. a honey gourami with a betta (which is not supposed to work, but they just ignore each other) and 2 otocinclus and 1 snail. so yeah,

i think either the honey gourami or the habrosus would work fine. actually probably could do both. just keep an eye on your parameters. you'll need more water changes.

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 3:13 PM, Tony s said:

should be good. i have an older 10g with a hodgepodge of animals in it.  4 panda cories. 2 neons. a honey gourami with a betta (which is not supposed to work, but they just ignore each other) and 2 otocinclus and 1 snail. so yeah,

i think either the honey gourami or the habrosus would work fine. actually probably could do both. just keep an eye on your parameters. you'll need more water changes.

I haven't researched those corys, I know panda corys do well in cooler temperature but I am not sure about habrosus. I think panda corys could be a good choice because they like the cooler temperatures white clouds like.

I wouldn't keep white clouds and honey gourami together based on temperature preferences alone. I thought that white clouds max out at 72f, with about 65 being ideal,  and Honey Gouramis minimum is 72, with about 76-78 being ideal. Being on the very edge of both's range is not ideal. I wouldn't try to keep these together, especially if this tank is kept at room temperature. @Whitecloud09 Do you have a heater? What temp?

Also that Honey Gouramis enjoy groups or at least pairs, which might overcrowd a 10 gallon. 

If your tank stays above 70f, you could try endlers.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:09 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Honey Gouramis minimum is 72, with about 76-78 being ideal

yeah, i did check on that, there's a good florida breeder has them starting at 70 ending at 80. on the cool side, but doable

• Like 1

I thought that white clouds max out at 72f, with about 65 being

same breeder has wcmm listed from 60-75

both pandas and habrosus min temp starting at 72. I can see where wcmm can have tank mate problems. the inside of my house is usually 72

• Like 1

These are the temperatures that are listed on the co-op blog articles:

Honey Gourami temp - temperatures between 74–82°F (23–28°C) If @Whitecloud09's room temperature is 72-74 (or is running a heater) it would probably be fine to have a honey gourami. If room temperature is 65-70 then it would probably not be ideal. I also think honey gouramis benefit from groups. When I only had one, it was very shy but when I got more it was much more bold and active.

Endlers - Doesn't list a temp, only says "For example, you can keep them at room temperature in an aquarium without a heater."

CPDs "While they can live up to 78°F (26°C), they thrive in lower temperatures from 72–76°F (22–24°C). Depending on how warm your home is, you may be able to keep this species in an unheated aquarium without a heater."

WCMM: temperatures from 65-77°F (18-25°C).

There is no co-op blog entries for Panda corys but I think you are right, the lower temperatures for them would be just fine. 

Other things to consider: rice fish, possibly emerald dwarf rasbora, harlequin rasbora.

• Like 1

I haven't researched those corys, I know panda corys do well in cooler temperature but I am not sure about habrosus. I think panda corys could be a good choice because they like the cooler temperatures white clouds like.

I wouldn't keep white clouds and honey gourami together based on temperature preferences alone. I thought that white clouds max out at 72f, with about 65 being ideal,  and Honey Gouramis minimum is 72, with about 76-78 being ideal. Being on the very edge of both's range is not ideal. I wouldn't try to keep these together, especially if this tank is kept at room temperature. @Whitecloud09 Do you have a heater? What temp?

Also that Honey Gouramis enjoy groups or at least pairs, which might overcrowd a 10 gallon. 

If your tank stays above 70f, you could try endlers.

I had a heater (and still do) but it is not in, the room temp is  about 68 degrees and so tank is sitting at 68, but with heater it can be whatever I like, I can set from 65 to 82 with each number in between, @macdaddy36, huh, I thought I saw prime time aquatics say that they can be single two, and Irene from AC said that as well, interesting…..

On 3/15/2024 at 4:28 PM, Tony s said:

same breeder has wcmm listed from 60-75

both pandas and habrosus min temp starting at 72. I can see where wcmm can have tank mate problems. the inside of my house is usually 72

Aquarium coop has them as up to 77 which sounds kinda extreme so maybe 74 would be fine for both????? If I get the honey. Also a panda Cory, does it need algae to graze on? I have onLucy the slightest bit of brown diatoms at bottom and barely any green algae on sides….

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 5:19 PM, macdaddy36 said:

These are the temperatures that are listed on the co-op blog articles:

Honey Gourami temp - temperatures between 74–82°F (23–28°C) If @Whitecloud09's room temperature is 72-74 (or is running a heater) it would probably be fine to have a honey gourami. If room temperature is 65-70 then it would probably not be ideal. I also think honey gouramis benefit from groups. When I only had one, it was very shy but when I got more it was much more bold and active.

Endlers - Doesn't list a temp, only says "For example, you can keep them at room temperature in an aquarium without a heater."

CPDs "While they can live up to 78°F (26°C), they thrive in lower temperatures from 72–76°F (22–24°C). Depending on how warm your home is, you may be able to keep this species in an unheated aquarium without a heater."

WCMM: temperatures from 65-77°F (18-25°C).

There is no co-op blog entries for Panda corys but I think you are right, the lower temperatures for them would be just fine. 

Other things to consider: rice fish, possibly emerald dwarf rasbora, harlequin rasbora.

Thanks, yeah I was interested harlequin  Rasbora, but another school type fish in a small 10g….would that even work @Tony s and @macdaddy36? Thanks 

Seems like the celestial Pearl danios are kinda not common for petsmart and petco to have in stock…

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 3/15/2024 at 7:54 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I had a heater (and still do) but it is not in, the room temp is  about 68 degrees and so tank is sitting at 68, but with heater it can be whatever I like, I can set from 65 to 82 with each number in between, @macdaddy36, huh, I thought I saw prime time aquatics say that they can be single two, and Irene from AC said that as well, interesting…..

Aquarium coop has them as up to 77 which sounds kinda extreme so maybe 74 would be fine for both????? If I get the honey. Also a panda Cory, does it need algae to graze on? I have onLucy the slightest bit of brown diatoms at bottom and barely any green algae on sides….

Just because they can be kept alone doesn't mean it's ideal, just like how you can keep them at cooler temperatures but that doesn't mean it's ideal. I think some care guides say you can technically keep male guppies alone, just as an example. Try to make the tank work for the fish, not make the fish work for the tank.

WCMMs originally came from cool water streams on the top of a mountain in China, while the Honey Gourami is from stagnant rivers, lakes and swamps in Bengal, but both species are very adaptable. If your able to keep the tank at 74-76 I think it would be fine.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:13 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Just because they can be kept alone doesn't mean it's ideal, just like how you can keep them at cooler temperatures but that doesn't mean it's ideal. I think some care guides say you can technically keep male guppies alone, just as an example. Try to make the tank work for the fish, not make the fish work for the tank.

WCMMs originally came from cool water streams on the top of a mountain in China, while the Honey Gourami is from stagnant rivers, lakes and swamps in Bengal, but both species are very adaptable. If your able to keep the tank at 74-76 I think it would be fine.

Ok, thanks a lot, I will look into pandas and some others and then decide, @macdaddy36 thank you for the time 🙂

• Like 1