Whitecloud09’s 10 gallon planted aquarium journal

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 8:45 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

your super knowledgeable!

Na, but I like helping. and I'm stuck behind a computer most of the day making sure my equipment runs correctly. So I have time to learn lots of things. That and I usually over obsess about whatever I'm learning. 🤣 And I'm a bit older than you and have lots of experience in other things. Like raising livestock, just usually not fish. but most of it translates to a good degree. And I've been my own boss for 40 years so used to figuring things out.

Some of the rating may be due to the thickness of the glass. but if your careful with it, it should do just fine.

Edited by Tony s

On 5/8/2024 at 8:51 PM, Tony s said:

Na, but I like helping. and I'm stuck behind a computer most of the day making sure my equipment runs correctly. So I have time to learn lots of things. That and I usually over obsess about whatever I'm learning. 🤣

Lol, I was wondering how you made so many posts! I mean you’ve won like 24 days and make tons of posts, but all helpful! I had to respond again instead of reacting, why is there a limit 🤣

On 5/8/2024 at 8:58 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I had to respond again instead of reacting, why is there a limit 🤣

I have found that if you switch devices. The new device doesn’t have the limits 🤣

On 5/8/2024 at 9:10 PM, Tony s said:

I have found that if you switch devices. The new device doesn’t have the limits 🤣

😦. Wow what a  idea!!!!!!! Why do I not th8nk of the simple things 😂. I just might do that…….lol

• Haha 1

The light came!!! 🎇🎇🎇 Also I went to petsmart because I literally forgot it was there and drove past it and said, “oh yeah there is a petsmart there”. And got the topfin hood, it fits like a charm! The light is perfect I mean PERFECT. I have it on a 8hr cycle and in the morning I will set it to turn on at 9:00 am and turn off after 8hrs is over, I will show pictures in the morning, it’s off now. @Tony s, @macdaddy36 amazing light. Decent hood actually too.

• Love 1

On 5/8/2024 at 9:13 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

😦. Wow what a  idea!!!!!!!

Yeah, did you notice they had about an hour shutdown yesterday. I believe they fixed the system so it doesn't work that way anymore 🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2024 at 9:05 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

One of my WCMMs is yawning every once in a while. Could this be a issue? 
low oxygen right? Do I need a airstone?

Gasping could be a sign of ammonia poisoning. I would suspect this to be the issue because you currently have some present.

An airstone definitely wouldn’t hurt though

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 2:46 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Gasping could be a sign of ammonia poisoning. I would suspect this to be the issue because you currently have some present.

An airstone definitely wouldn’t hurt though

They stopped yawning but get air from the top of the water often, but no other common signs of ammonia poisoning, I will get an airstone soon and just keep a eye one em @macdaddy36.

• Like 1

@macdaddy36, I am going to get one, (a airstone) and had a Q. Do I need a sponge filter? I am not against it but just wondering. This article is what I am looking at on AC, I probably will but everything that I need for one obviously, air pump, tubing, check valve, the actua airstone and a sponge filter. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/air-stones-the-secret-weapon-every-aquarium-needs

• Like 1

No, you don’t need the sponge filter if your only purpose is better oxygenation.

You should get

- Air pump

- Tubing

- Check valve

- Air stone

I would get a tetra airpump from petco/petsmart.

I have 3 and all have been super reliable, quiet, and cheap. With shipping the co-op one might be too late if lack of oxygen is the issue.

• Like 1

Ok, I actually about to order it from Amazon right now, the tetra air pump, it comes with a check valve, standard tubing that has great reviews and the airstone itself @macdaddy36

The air pump. (with the check valve included) 

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-Pump-Gallon-Aquariums/dp/B0009YHU6Y/ref=sr_1_6?crid=27RVCYHV8E70C&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.7Q6oZJ8X7JG65b4XII1Jn06tADWELjrvFRpfQbu2pxpBcE_Hbr3tdz8HsplRL7kYu2f8PLow1GzVnRobvCfTJIZeztM4A5PPXB29b5vbAlLfE9dwxxH9K6uWRcB0yl2yfdPDtULuYhZhgPAssFyBftaz-hI16ql1sUOqIp7oCxuR7OA_gF-N1gxWMjwrOVrFFuNjKYl7NNPYO6zAg8N9ua800ubBpCPWdo9cxToOAxFcGvePDNUODCTpd6DzPvnIeP6Z8HnqA0LYm1-ZqDDIM6r2kMhTRPfyXiGZsnHzTcQ.7Kf6N45kYxhPi_HBYtMB7IPAKb06Nk6mI14G6MWrb3g&dib_tag=se&keywords=Tetra%2Bair%2Bpump&qid=1715600478&sprefix=tetra%2Bair%2Bpump%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

The tubing. 

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Aquariums-Flexible-Standard/dp/B0002563MM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=W6M1Q0NPJIQ9&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.JZknRBfyfx-jVblJgL0vkesFUDHEojT_jmWHHNL3K-owCWxLO1EVO6dHYDh8k0wmZ9xTnzvxe-SeYOv15k6nO8BUv_jdSzSk878Xb7cnXXcxSuZRqkYJp1tpk9teFfa9tJJBcODw0nb8r93evFa2tbIxh8xORVzMINJoJ-XafvhflpfTYOexTiC0PQo9k3Lk6QedrcjE3aTihPxjdOMzyKQajO_vTd4gGLAnpPgmaurRxpn8zg0xxq1UulZrpxOuHllNmiTqN3oU19EeNqHxYd-8sCDaxRa5O2Cp5uQmjcw.S5sYTdIt9_lVLONAvLD0R12O-WJntYew-8uSr7TfXYI&dib_tag=se&keywords=air+pump+tubing+for+fish+tank&qid=1715600535&sprefix=Air+tubing+for+tank+%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-5

The airstone, does it look ok to you? Or do you have another airstone idea? It looks ok I guess, should work maybe……

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-AS6Q-Cylinder-Aerator/dp/B00025652U/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2XJRYN3I3CHVC&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Ca8-Vg64bvUfn_Npvmlng9c6f049sJ6bXgZbLfseBL_J56v-7paMHJ65OmeoW57hJBTU86G4xk-27FO1siUH0VAGXKAlcyPKYe-2dfHM1BlcYLWAiPYyxCLlVLrDSk9IgGX_WYdg_B7qvfE7bmYHTxeYbRciXj1eRU1wMiDqfzNKnGjvT1Xkr0B2pHer4Ozq5ojEww-PIjQwuM8iu0iEMwLeAf3aqBdhouCc-EKLdKTzGJ4Ao2-a97UaDAqZXvk2IKcFA3HCqfjeJjuMtiqP4XbhE701BimBv0i1gdUP3ts.4Tgv-h3jC4zydx4h6DRGL_CEGK1RHLx5wK4utNhNV98&dib_tag=se&keywords=Ziss+airstone&qid=1715600913&sprefix=ziss+airstone%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-6

I have 5 and I can say they are the most cute and well behaved lil buddies the guppys and silvertips have some aggression but no fin nipping so far but back to the point whiteclouds are awesome and underrated 

I have 5 and I can say they are the most cute and well behaved lil buddies the guppys and silvertips have some aggression but no fin nipping so far but back to the point whiteclouds are awesome and underrated 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/19/2024 at 8:25 PM, bigcorydora49 said:

I know, they are so underrated, and the funny thing, they’re the easiest fish to keep. Their personality is great too! My 5 favorite fishes!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:05 PM, bigcorydora49 said:

I love the way they display and they school with my silver tip tetras 

Yes for me, they don’t school super tight, every once and a while one will drift off, they are so curious, then they school again, people should love them more. Not mention the hardy fish that they are

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:10 PM, bigcorydora49 said:

Yessss some places even sell them as feeders which is dumb I think what they do is called shoaling 

Ya I know, but the good thing is, if they do sell em as feeders, they are like a dollar each, cuts the budget lol

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:43 PM, bigcorydora49 said:

Actually that's smart then u get em cheaperrrrr

Absolutely. Kinda disrespectful at the same time because your selling them as like food. But hey it’s ok, their cheaper at least 😉

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 7:12 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Kinda disrespectful at the same time because your selling them as like food. But hey it’s ok, their cheaper at least

Honestly, very disrespectful. They are basically extinct in the wild from pollution. but very easy to raise and grow in captivity, so no shortages

• Like 1
  • Haha 1