What happens to fishes that don't get bought at local fish stores?

Just a random thought that is ngawing away at me. What happens to fishes that no one buys? What is the fish store gonna do with them? Especially those types of fish that grows to be quite large. Oscars, blood parrots etc. I have a very gigantic angel fish at my local fish store. It looks old. What would the fish store do with unsold fishes? Any thoughts? 

When I previously managed a lfs we just held onto the fish until they sold. I never had any fish long enough in the store to actually grow to full size, in your example of an oscar.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 10:53 PM, ScandiDefense said:

I have a very gigantic angel fish at my local fish store

In all likelihood, the angel was probably a surrender from someone no longer able to care for it. apparently, they had done a very good job for a long time. Our lfs had a huge blood parrot in. Someone's long term pet. the owner was older and just couldn't do it anymore. If I would have had the room, I would have taken him home right then.

• Thanks 1

My LFS recently got in an iridescent shark donation. I felt bad. He is around 16 inches now, and sadly, in the biggest tank they have at the store, which is only a 90 gallon. They just want to find him a home, and would give him away.

I only have a 180, and already that is too small for him, though it did go through my head: "Welp, it's better than a 90."  But I am not really solving the problem that way, and I'd be taking the opportunity away for someone who may have a suitable tank/pond from taking him.

It wasn't easy to walk away.

• Like 3