Can I put my sick guppy in a 1 gallon uncycled tank

Karen B.

Greetings!

One of my guppy seems off. I bought him last week and he always seemed more frail. He has been constipated since I got him. I gave him food soaked in garlic guard, no improvement. His belly is starting to sink in. And his fins are no longer flowing like they used to. He is also starting to struggle to swim - it’s as if he swam with the front of his body that is swaying left/right instead of his tail.

I live in Canada, so no medication available. I want to transfer him in a 1 gallon hospital tank and treat him with 1 tea spoon of salt. I plan to do WC every 2 days. If the tank is not cycled, is it an issue?

Thank you. If you have tips on what to do, what the disease can be, let me know!

10 gallons, aqueon quietflow 10

75f

pH 7.6

0/0/5

Added plants yesterday (he was already not doing well).

33 minutes ago, Karen B. said:

Greetings!

One of my guppy seems off. I bought him last week and he always seemed more frail. He has been constipated since I got him. I gave him food soaked in garlic guard, no improvement. His belly is starting to sink in. And his fins are no longer flowing like they used to. He is also starting to struggle to swim - it’s as if he swam with the front of his body that is swaying left/right instead of his tail.

I live in Canada, so no medication available. I want to transfer him in a 1 gallon hospital tank and treat him with 1 tea spoon of salt. I plan to do WC every 2 days. If the tank is not cycled, is it an issue?

Thank you. If you have tips on what to do, what the disease can be, let me know!

10 gallons, aqueon quietflow 10

75f

pH 7.6

0/0/5

Added plants yesterday (he was already not doing well).

it might be an issue. but you can use cycled filter media from one of your tanks and transfer it over to your one gallon and it would be fine. 

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Karen B. said:

No issue at all. I kept scores of bettas in 1 gallon jars, with every other day water changes back when I was heavily into bettas and those bettas thrived and were lusty and vigorous! A one tiny guppy will not produce anywhere near the volume of waste products that a much larger betta does.

Be prepared though once the belly starts to sink in and the swimming become difficult the unhappy end is nearly inevitable.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No issue at all. I kept scores of bettas in 1 gallon jars, with every other day water changes back when I was heavily into bettas and those bettas thrived and were lusty and vigorous! A one tiny guppy will not produce anywhere near the volume of waste products that a much larger betta does.

Be prepared though once the belly starts to sink in and the swimming become difficult the unhappy end is nearly inevitable.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Fingers crossed he will make it but thank you for letting me know. He was so beautiful too. 😢