Why Neons is rarely bought?

On 3/5/2024 at 5:30 AM, Setiawan said:

Why some keepers out there bought Cardinals and Green Neons?

Why not regular Neons?

Neons are one of my fav fish

I keep reading and seeing videos talking about how fragile regular neon's have become over the years.  That is part of why my brother doesn't have them, he bought 5 or 6 and all died in the course of a week.  I researched it when he said something and he didn't get more after that.

• Like 2

They’re really great little fish. So much color. Unfortunately, the majority of neons are farm raised and the genetics have gotten off. The fish has become fragile at best. I keep trying them and have loses usually around 50% or more. But,once they get past the first month or so they seem to do just fine. If you can get certified wild caught, they should be fine from day 1. Same of store bought guppies. Big box pet stores carry the week genetic strains. There are places that carry ones that are fine. I think dans fish should be good.

just because we don’t usually purchase regular neons doesn’t mean everyone else doesn’t. Neons are still one of the most popular fish sold worldwide. Must be in the millions sold per week. 

• Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 7:53 AM, Pepere said:

prefer the smaller size of the Green Neon Tetras

Love the greens. Have also figured out that the red will disappear with a black background. But the green really pops then.

Neoms are the most popular fish in the entire hobby. They dont get talked about as much bc everyone knows them and most have kept them. Not much to talk about. Green neons are a little more obscure so people talk about them more.

On 3/5/2024 at 4:30 AM, Setiawan said:

Why some keepers out there bought Cardinals and Green Neons?

Why not regular Neons?

Neons are one of my fav fish

I have 10 neons and they are great. anytime someone who doesn't know anything about fish sees my tank, they point them out.

BUT

The majority of mine have bent spines due to bad genetics and while I have 10, I purchased 20 (not at the same time) and lost half fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 10:24 AM, NOLANANO said:

I have 10, I purchased 20

Yeah, Jason Adams had been recommending an over purchase of 30%, I'm thinking closer to 60% at this point, and they still may show signs. I think I have 3-4 left out of 20. But they're closing in on 2 yrs old now. the first six weeks clears them out quickly. Hopefully, @Setiawan has a better strain locally.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:46 AM, johnnyxxl said:

I keep reading and seeing videos talking about how fragile regular neon's have become over the years.  That is part of why my brother doesn't have them, he bought 5 or 6 and all died in the course of a week.  I researched it when he said something and he didn't get more after that.

Yeah just like fancy guppies, they live for a short time, got a very good chance of illness and are really not natural, yeah I have seen more green neons bought too, everytime I look for the, they are out of stock.