Camallanus (sp?) worms in shrimp??

LDZ

Hey all,  I just got a few amano shrimp and they are in a QT tank.    I have dealt with literally every disorder shrimp can have in my shrimp tanks so I really want to go be preemptive with this batch.  What can/should I treat them with/for while in quarantine?   I am especially concerned about camallanus worms based on what I have read. Though I am open to worrying about anything else that might be a problem 🤣.   They look happy and healthy at this time, I've had them a week already.  I am planning to QT them for a month.  Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!!

Shrimp can be carry of camallanus worms as part of the second stage of there life cycle levamisole flubendazole and fenbendazole will treat camallanus worms are harmful to shrimp praziquantel safe to treat shrimp isn't effective at treating camallanus worms you best option would be to quarantine and monitor for a minimum of 4 weeks @LDZ

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 4:25 AM, LDZ said:

What am I monitoring for??  Are there symptoms I should be looking for in the shrimp?   Thanks!!

You are monitoring to see if there are any signs of camallanus worms they don't spread between the shrimp only infect fish if the shrimp is eaten the chance of a shrimp having camallanus worms is small here's a disease chart with some common diseases to look out for why I would always recommend quarantining new shrimp if your adding them to an existing colony 

Screenshot_20240304-112414.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you.  Is there some way to actually tell if shrimp carry the worms?  What would that look like? Thank you for the chart.   I've dealt with most on this list unfortunately, plus a few problems not listed 😞.  My understanding of this parasite is the life cycle without a host fish is around three weeks.  I'm hoping at the end of the month I should be good.  You say it is not common in shrimp but after all the issues I have dealt with in the past (some with your help solving ☺️) in my tanks, I want to avoid anything I can. Thank you again for all your advice!!!

On 3/4/2024 at 6:06 PM, LDZ said:

Thank you.  Is there some way to actually tell if shrimp carry the worms?  What would that look like? Thank you for the chart.   I've dealt with most on this list unfortunately, plus a few problems not listed 😞.  My understanding of this parasite is the life cycle without a host fish is around three weeks.  I'm hoping at the end of the month I should be good.  You say it is not common in shrimp but after all the issues I have dealt with in the past (some with your help solving ☺️) in my tanks, I want to avoid anything I can. Thank you again for all your advice!!!

It's basically looking for visable signs of red worms on your shrimp camallanus worms depending on the species  can survive between 4-8 weeks without a host I would recommend a minimum of 1 month quarantine 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1