10000lb Husky rack for 180 gallon tank?

I want to do a tank rank in my office, and I wanted the middle rack to be my 180 gallon (6x2x2). Each shelf is rated for 2500 lbs. Has anyone put this large of a tank on these racks? Am I better off custom building a wood rack? Bottom rack would have a 90 as my sump with a smaller quarantine tank then maybe a few 10-20 gallons up top later on. I should be under 2000lbs completely full and scaped, and I would put 3/4" plywood under the tank on each shelf. Anyone have one with a big tank like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Tier-Industrial-Duty-Steel-Freestanding-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-in-Black-77-in-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-N2W772478W4B/319132737

Edited by mrPickles

I have a 2’ x 4’ x 6’ tall Muscle Rack with 8 10’s and 4 5.5’s on it.  The flimsy particle board was replaced with 3/4” outdoor grade plywood with 3 coats of polyurethane sealant.  The shelves still bow slightly despite the tanks being shifted forward a bit to be closer to a supporting edge.  The end tank’s water level on the 2 shelves with 10’s show that the shelves have not stayed 100% level.  The tanks are as far to the outside supporting edges as possible with essentially no weight directly in the center (only very light random supplies like scissors, tweezers, etc).  The bottom shelf with the 5.5’s does not show bowing.  I have only light stuff on the top shelf where I have the 3 puny, particle board shelves stacked to get them out of the way.  The rack will not really sway, but doesn’t exactly stand rock solid when pushed on an upright.

Even with 1” plywood, I would not trust a tank that size on a Muscle Rack.  I think their rating far exceeds the reality and if we hadn’t replaced the flimsy 3/8” particle board shelves they would have long since fallen through.

Estimated filled weight for a 180 is 2100 lbs with any substrate and hardscape.  Water alone is 1500 lbs, sand averaging 3” deep is another 300 lbs.  Add rocks and you could easily be another 100 lbs or more.  Driftwood won’t be as bad but still another 50 lbs minimum.  Combo could be 150 lb or more.  Then you’re at almost 2000 lbs.  Theoretically, it should handle it.  The reality is, maybe, maybe not. 

I truly believe Muscle Racks overstates their actual capacity knowing that most people will never come even close when stacking tools or bins of the usual garage stuff on their racks.  But aquariums definitely push their limits.  You want to trust 180 gallons and your fish to a maybe not?

You also need to consider how high you’re willing to go above your head to work on the top layer tanks (unless you’re well over 6’ tall).  You need enough space above the sump to get stuff in and out - pumps, filter socks, etc, will need at least 8” or more.  Then above the tank you will need at least another 8” or more.  I wish I had more room between tank rims and the next shelf up on all layers.  Make sure you do the math on the total height and shelf height allowing for your 1” of plywood.  Unless you put your sump on the floor, it will take up about 4” below the sump (2” shelf edge, 1” plywood, ~1” below the lowest shelf support at the lowest position).  Then add height of your sump plus at least 8” (9-12” would make your life easier).  Then another 3” for the shelf under your tank, 24” tall tank, plus another 9-12” to get hardscape in (unless you plan on scaping without the upper shelf in place).  Depending on the height of your sump, that puts your top shelf at max height for a 6’ rack.  Stepladder time for most folks.  I use a small step stool for my top layer of tanks if I have to do anything other than routine water changes.  Catching fish, scraping glass, scaping, removing / adding plants, etc, is all done on a step stool for me at 5’5”.

I don’t know if all this helps, but it’s a bit of my experience with my Muscle Rack.

• Like 1

I have a 180. I recently just moved it, shimmed the stand (a 2x6 wood stand), and moved my inhabitants from my 125 into it. I know you are thinking along these lines anyway....but man....everything about it was heavy, and brought difficulty. just getting it from the floor dollies onto the stand was very taxing. And shimming the stand to get it as perfect as possible required patience and strength....as my tank sits in a nook between 2 walls with 75 inches of space total. The tank itself is probably close to 400 lbs dry.

Anyway....I would really think the about a dedicated-well built stand for it. It is HEAVY!

• Like 3

On 3/2/2024 at 1:04 PM, quikv6 said:

I have a 180. I recently just moved it, shimmed the stand (a 2x6 wood stand), and moved my inhabitants from my 125 into it. I know you are thinking along these lines anyway....but man....everything about it was heavy, and brought difficulty. just getting it from the floor dollies onto the stand was very taxing. And shimming the stand to get it as perfect as possible required patience and strength....as my tank sits in a nook between 2 walls with 75 inches of space total. The tank itself is probably close to 400 lbs dry.

Anyway....I would really think the about a dedicated-well built stand for it. It is HEAVY!

@quikv6 I definitely agree about the weight of the aquarium alone.

I personally built a stand for my 180 gallon after I noticed old stand with deterioration.  

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 11:00 AM, Odd Duck said:

You also need to consider how high you’re willing to go above your head to work on the top layer tanks (unless you’re well over 6’ tall). 

I'm 6'2" so I prefer the tall tanks. I want them visible for me. The third rack (if i do it) would likely be the really short custom aquariums that Serpadesigns builds with Ikea glass, so only about 14" tall. Easy to fit and to reach into. The 180 will probably just be hardscaped since I'm likely either going to have large non plant friendly fish, so, I'll have less maintenance on that tank. My current sump has about 9" above so that's what I'm planning on. The 90 sump will probably have a refugium and mostly shrimp and nano fish like it has now. I hope it can sit on the ground. This will all be on a concrete floor. I'll probably laminate 2x6 for the long span for the 180gallon to be safe and to avoid a center support. I'll leave a little more over the 180 gallon.

• Like 1