Is 0.25 ammonia something to be concerned about?

This tank is cycled by me doing the fishless cycle for almost 2 months and I added 6 fishes (a school of em) to the tank and now I am seeing 0.25 ammonia…is this something to be concerned about? Nitrates are like 25 ppm too, not sure if that is too high, I know 20 uselly is minimum. Should I do a 25% change of water?

On 3/1/2024 at 1:42 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I am seeing 0.25 ammonia…is this something to be concerned about?

No, but keep an eye on it and do a water change if it gets much higher.

Nitrates are like 25 ppm too, not sure if that is too high, I know 20 uselly is minimum.

That's not a problem.  I'm perfectly fine with 40 ppm.

Should I do a 25% change of water?

I don't believe it's really needed now, but if it will help your mind it certainly won't hurt anything.

On 3/1/2024 at 1:58 PM, Galabar said:

What do your nitrites look like?

That's a very good question.  If nitrites are high enough to show up when tested I would definitely recommend doing a water change.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:58 PM, Galabar said:

What do your nitrites look like?

0 ppm 

On 3/1/2024 at 3:21 PM, JettsPapa said:

No, but keep an eye on it and do a water change if it gets much higher.

That's not a problem.  I'm perfectly fine with 40 ppm.

I don't believe it's really needed now, but if it will help your mind it certainly won't hurt anything.

That's a very good question.  If nitrites are high enough to show up when tested I would definitely recommend doing a water change.

thank you for that info, will wait on the 25% change

I am about to test ph, but does it matter? I mean because ammonia is showing up, i test it but 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 2:31 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

. . . I am about to test ph, but does it matter? I mean because ammonia is showing up, i test it but 

Ammonia is less toxic with lower pH, so yes, it might matter.

• Like 1

Honestly, I dont like to see any ammonia. but the test kits say .25 is fine. I would add more bacteria after a water change. with a small amount of white clouds, the bacteria should be able to keep up. but if their not, add more

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 10:45 AM, Tony s said:

Honestly, I dont like to see any ammonia. but the test kits say .25 is fine. I would add more bacteria after a water change. with a small amount of white clouds, the bacteria should be able to keep up. but if their not, add more

Will have to order more, all out again 😅. Still dropping money on my betta, 

like 50 bucks so will order in next couple of days, my betta is really breaking the bank recently. Thanks @JettsPapa, will check ph again today. Forgot to test when I would, sorry.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:50 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Still dropping money on my betta

I understand that completely. I have one that has developed an abscess/tumor on his back. been treated with maracyn 2 already. not sure there's much more to be done for him. I'll probably just let him rest 😔

and have a 2year old cory laying on its side this morning as well😔

• Sad 1

On 3/4/2024 at 10:54 AM, Tony s said:

I understand that completely. I have one that has developed an abscess/tumor on his back. been treated with maracyn 2 already. not sure there's much more to be done for him. I'll probably just let him rest 😔

and have a 2year old cory laying on its side this morning as well😔

Yeah I hate it so much.

We raise 100k head of livestock annually. when i was the herd manager, i fought like heck for all of them. You still lose around 4-6% of everything. so not unaccustomed to animal lose. but yeah, i still hate it 

• Like 1