What am I doing wrong?

meissnjr

New to all of this… I have a 5.5 gallon with a few cherry shrimp and a Hillstream loach in it. I also have a couple Java ferns attached to fake rocks in the back. Using a sponge filter and a nano HOB (because I thought it would help take particles out of the water). It’s been running for a couple months now, the discolored water started about a month into the tanks life cycle. Water tests say my parameters are all good, so I’m not sure why the water is so murky. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_5924.jpeg

On 2/29/2024 at 4:42 PM, NOLANANO said:

My guess is that your lights are too bright for too long. What is your lighting schedule?

I usually have them on from 8-5. If lighting is the issue, will reducing the time help, or too late? I’m essentially running a 2’ shop light with a grow light in it. I suppose it may be too strong - didn’t consider that…

Edited by meissnjr

Yes it will definitely help. Depending on the strength of the light, timing will vary. I personally keep my lights on for 6 hours a day. I have them turn on at 4pm and then shut off at 10 pm. Tis way they are on when I am home in the evenings.

If I were you I would do a 50% water change and then black out the tank for a few days. Meaning don't turn any lights on and cover the tank with a blanket or something. This will help kill off the green water algae quicker and you can start your new life clear water. Others with more experience may have more concrete instructions but this would be my initial approach.

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 2

Agreed that it looks like green water. I’ve had green water in my cube a couple of times. That tank is sensitive, and any little change causes green water. 

Every time I’ve had it, I’ve water changed my way through it. Keep in mind that if you kill off all the algae, it will create ammonia, and your tank might not be able to process that all at once resulting in an ammonia spike. 

If this was my tank, I would do a couple of things:

-Cut down the lighting period 

-Move the shop light up higher, if you can. Light becomes less intense the further away it is, so that could also really help

-Consider a new light if it’s in your budget. A 2’ shop light with a grow light (currently growing algae, or free-floating algae in the water column) seems really intense for a 5 gallon tank. Lighting doesn’t have to be expensive. I have Aquaneat lights on the majority of my tank and have jungles of plants. 

-Water change your way through it. 50% water changes, once per day, multiple days in a row, will physically remove and reduce the algae without the worry to kill it and cause an ammonia spike. 

-Do your water changes into a white bucket, if you can. With a white bucket you can really see the color of your water and can physically/visually see progress. 

-Remember that you didn’t get here overnight, so it will take some time to work your way through it. Gradual is good, and green water is actually super healthy for fish. 

• Like 2

Did a 5 day blackout and the water is much clearer now! Not perfect by any means but I can at least see through the tank. I just did a water test and everything still seems within acceptable parameters. Thanks everyone!!!

• Like 4