Introduced Java Moss but Nitrates are skyrocketing

Sorry I’m extremely new here but I don’t know where to go. 
I recently bought java moss to put in my tank in the hopes that I would be able to do less water changes. I normally do weekly 1 gal changes. The first week after introducing Java Moss there was no Nitrates in the water. I checked one week later and there was 80 ppm nitrates in there. I have changed no less than six gallons of water since then within 2 days and the nitrates stay at unsustainable levels. In the image below the test tube on the right was from last night and the test tube on the left was from after a 1 gal water change this morning. Is this due to the introduction of the Java Moss? Has anyone had this problem and knows what to do?

IMG_5042.jpeg

• Like 1

Are you vacuuming the substrate. Excess debris usually causes this type of escalation.  Java moss is a very slow grower and uptakes only minuscule amounts of nitrate.  If it’s dying it could be releasing ammonia that ends as nitrate but it would not do so that quickly

• Like 2

I havent been vacuuming the gravel consistantly, but this is the first time its been spiking so dramatically. The java moss was sitting in shipping for an extra two days so i removed it just in case it was dying. I will be more thorough when i do my water changes tonight thank you.

I suspect that it spiked because you disturbed the substrate when you introduced the moss.  Stirring up the bottom should be done with your water charges until you get the detritus cleared up bringing your nitrogen level in line 

• Like 1