Rebooting 55 Gallon Tank

pdmeighen

I've posted several times in the last few days in the introduction forum under the subect "I'm new also..."

After struggling with the dreaded "Grey Gunk" for at least six months I've decided to start over.  I'm taking out the water, gravel and substrate. 

Please feel free to recommend subtrates and gravel for a 55 gallon - fresh water - planted tank.

Currently I have a fluval 307 filter, Coralife Seascape LED Aquarium Light and 2 "generic heaters".  May upgrade some of this later.

GUNK.jpg

• Like 1

Lots of choices there. Could even do 3 in or more in a 55. 2 to one female to male.ratio. Females are as colorful as males which is great. Then tons of choices for schooling and bottom dwellers. Try and play around with aqadvisor.com. They’ll help you with numbers and compatibility. Then research the plant preferences of your fish. I believe they like a lot of floaters to hide in and around. 

• Like 1

Probably. I’m not sure I’d count on having live bacteria in it though. No telling how long it’s been on the shelf in a sealed plastic bag. But it’s supposed to be a very good substrate. I just wouldn’t count on it to cycle a tank 

• Like 1

That all depends on which cichlid. Some eat everything, like severums. Some are quite happy in planted tanks, most dwarf cichlids, rams and apistos. Some won’t necessarily eat plants, but will redecorate and dig up your aquarium. Oscars. Really depends on the type you want 

Then you have the africans. They eat and dig. It’s really a species specific thing 

• Like 1