Scaperoot's tanks and fish

I'm hoping to track the progress of my newest tank, a 20 long with a female Betta, about a dozen Golden Minnows, 3 Venezuelan Corys, 3 Nerites, and a couple Ottos. I had purchased 8 Emerald Rasboras last month, but they soon disappeared after I witnessed the biggest Minnow chasing them. I'm not sure if any are still alive. 
   I try to scape each tank (6 total) differently, and this particular scape is my favorite because I'm creating a Crypt and Red Tiger Lotus carpet. I was inspired by a Canadian Youtuber (Aguabonita). I actually thought it was Dean from ACO for months because some videos are titled 'Dean's fishroom updates', and because he didn't appear on camera. My new favorite plant is a Crypt Wendtii Brown Indonesian. It's a gorgeous plant once it adapts. I'll share pics of what it looks like fully grown in my other tanks. 
   I used Seiryu stone and Manzanita wood for  the hardscape, and black diamond blasting sand (50 lbs). I usually prefer pool filter sand, but I wanted a darker substrate. I purchased the Indonesian Browns from my favorite LFS, Aquascaping Supply in Orlando. The other plants (Java Ferns, purple waffle, Alternanthera Reineckii, Anubias, Bucephalandra) were picked up at a local fish farm or ordered online. 
   I'm happy with the progress so far, aside from losing the Rasboras. The pic I'm posting of the tank is about a month old. I'll post another pic once the new Crypts grow a bit. The pics of the Crypts I've added are from different tanks. Overall, it's been fun setting this up. I wish I had tracked the progress of my other tanks this way. Looking forward to updating, as well as seeing others post their updates. 

37E9A511-FB34-4330-A115-2ED0EE310466.jpeg

8062F649-2820-494D-897F-8882BA8C4574.jpeg

A95CAA2E-67AC-4E43-948A-2CA18EF8E409.jpeg

E5280AC4-1C31-480F-9E0A-44B2B0501592.jpeg

0601B3B2-F6E0-41A2-A88C-3959658DDC8B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Here are some older pics of the tank. This was my second time putting a scape together. I was very happy with the original look, which only lasted a few months. I used Eco Complete on top of media bags initially, but lost countless stem plants. I had a very hard time with planting in this substrate, and it ultimately forced me to start over. The substrate wasn't deep enough, and removing the media bags was a hassle and stressful to the fish. 

85587010-12A7-4557-A972-23000C94DA76.jpeg

5F91FF86-23BE-420D-9D6B-B5755F583AB7.jpeg

Here are some older pics of the tank. This was my second time putting a scape together. I was very happy with the original look, which only lasted a few months. I used Eco Complete on top of media bags initially, but lost countless stem plants. I had a very hard time with planting in this substrate, and it ultimately forced me to start over. The substrate wasn't deep enough, and removing the media bags was a hassle and stressful to the fish. 

• Love 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:03 PM, Scaperoot said:

Here are a couple pics I took today. My crypt carpet is starting to come in😊

A867BC35-4B57-432F-9FC8-0CA5D6542088.jpeg

0B2D4CD9-0F5E-41C2-8D9A-0A0353BDB1B4.jpeg

Wow that is amazing! Quick Q @Scaperoot, I was wondering if u use easy iron for your crypts, I was wondering because easy iron is kinda pricey with having to buy root tabs too. I was planning on getting some Cryptocoryne green and red from AC. Obviously I need root tabs but is easy iron essential? Might need to say this in a actual topic about this… Idk really…

On 3/7/2024 at 1:03 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Wow that is amazing! Quick Q @Scaperoot, I was wondering if u use easy iron for your crypts, I was wondering because easy iron is kinda pricey with having to buy root tabs too. I was planning on getting some Cryptocoryne green and red from AC. Obviously I need root tabs but is easy iron essential? Might need to say this in a actual topic about this… Idk really…

So sorry, I thought I had replied but I guess it never went through. I've never used easy iron. I know Cory has actually said that most people don't need it. I stick to easy green and root tabs. Success has been hit or miss. I have a shallow tank with amazing crypts. Those same crypts grow well, but not quite AS WELL in my bigger tanks. Not sure why. You should start a journal and track your progress! 

• Love 1

On 3/11/2024 at 10:51 AM, Scaperoot said:

So sorry, I thought I had replied but I guess it never went through. I've never used easy iron. I know Cory has actually said that most people don't need it. I stick to easy green and root tabs. Success has been hit or miss. I have a shallow tank with amazing crypts. Those same crypts grow well, but not quite AS WELL in my bigger tanks. Not sure why. You should start a journal and track your progress! 

Thanks I was just wondering about that, yes I should start a topic on that, thanks so much for the suggestion @Scaperoot 😀

Tank update:

We lost our girl Sienna last week. I noticed she was not using the open space of the tank for a couple days. When I went in for a closer look, I saw pine coning. I separated her, treated her as well as I could in a separate container, but she passed two days later. I tested the water and did a water change as a precaution, but none of the other fish were affected.  She was the second Betta I've lost this year, and I've decided not to get any more for a while. I have 3 females and 2 males left (all in individual tanks). 

Everything is going well with the fish, except that my new Agassizii Corydoras spend most of the time in the plants and I rarely see them. I think a couple of the Minnows will be dropping fry soon, so that's exciting. The tank won't be the same without Sienna, but I still enjoy the other fish. My wife helped me set up some waffle plants to sit with their roots in the water. I'm hoping they can thrive this way. I'm battling a bit of BBA and green hair algae atm, but it's not too bad. I might add some Amano shrimp in the future. 

Sienna tank waffle plants.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for update, could not react to post because have done that to much it says today 😉. Sorry about the betta, yeah I don’t have good luck either with those guys, I guess maybe they have been bred way to much and are weaker with lower health.

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 3/19/2024 at 6:52 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Thanks for update, could not react to post because have done that to much it says today 😉. Sorry about the betta, yeah I don’t have good luck either with those guys, I guess maybe they have been bred way to much and are weaker with lower health.

It's a shame, because I was doing well as far as keeping fish alive for a while and then lost two of our girls in less than two months. We got four of them from the same fish farm, so I'm hoping the others will be ok. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

After losing Sienna, I didn't want to get another Betta for this tank. After going back and forth on trying to decide which feature fish to have join my Golden Minnows and various Corys, I chose to get a Honey Gourami. This is Charlie! He fits right in😊F864F9BD-D3D0-450D-825F-36A1DF43C62A.jpeg.8cb07a0fd4c81db283a8a4b7b96cb14d.jpegFE1389FA-D384-4226-86C7-6D06E8300454.jpeg.9644b7e5a85b94dd0603c1639856c694.jpeg

• Love 1

On 4/19/2024 at 11:00 PM, Scaperoot said:

After losing Sienna, I didn't want to get another Betta for this tank. After going back and forth on trying to decide which feature fish to have join my Golden Minnows and various Corys, I chose to get a Honey Gourami. This is Charlie! He fits right in😊F864F9BD-D3D0-450D-825F-36A1DF43C62A.jpeg.8cb07a0fd4c81db283a8a4b7b96cb14d.jpegFE1389FA-D384-4226-86C7-6D06E8300454.jpeg.9644b7e5a85b94dd0603c1639856c694.jpeg

Good choice! Great tankmate for WCMMs! So calm and peaceful, cool fish!

• Like 1