Journey to new tank

What a nice sturdy base!  That's something you know is going to work instead of those scary commercial ones.  Love it.  Did you add the trim at the top of the tank?  I like how it looks.  I love the top...is that the double (don't know the right term for sure) wall?  And where did you find clear hinges...they blend well on the top.  I'll take your advice about sanding them...thanks.

Your tank  looks good.  Is the wood local?  I often find nice pieces of oak in our woods and have used some smaller pieces in tanks after boiling.  This is a fun jouney to see its progress.  Thanks for sending me the link.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:48 AM, reefhugger said:

What a nice sturdy base!  That's something you know is going to work instead of those scary commercial ones.  Love it.  Did you add the trim at the top of the tank?  I like how it looks.  I love the top...is that the double (don't know the right term for sure) wall?  And where did you find clear hinges...they blend well on the top.  I'll take your advice about sanding them...thanks.

Your tank  looks good.  Is the wood local?  I often find nice pieces of oak in our woods and have used some smaller pieces in tanks after boiling.  This is a fun jouney to see its progress.  Thanks for sending me the link.

I bought some of the wood from KG Tropical, and the rest from Wet Pets, the top is the double wall polycarbonate green house material I had to buy a 4x8 foot sheet like plywood comes.  The sand is playground sand washed and I mixed in a bag of pea gravel from Lowe's.  2 co-op sponge filters and air pump.  Hygger light.

The hinges I tried to find locally but ended up using Amazon.  I didn't make the trim but that is on the list lol my tank was a roadside find.

IMG_20240329_100022_144.jpg

I think that the rock is leaching minerals into the water to be causing the hardness to rise like it is unless my stem plants are the shop said that it will add calcium to the water 

17117214010436688470461413790742.jpg

• Love 1

Yeah I tested it outside for a few days and then very slowly filled it that's why it wasn't full of water in the early pictures.  I just haven't filled it because I have to reach to my shoulder to reach the back even with tweezers for planting

On 4/4/2024 at 7:37 PM, johnnyxxl said:

25 percent water change and test

IMG_20240331_104819_403.jpg.523846d39e516a7931e7b6e33a322eaf.jpgrescaping and added some floating plants since I couldn't find any fish locally 😕.  May have to order my fish online.IMG_20240331_091725_737.thumb.jpg.242ed85e4ead898aea5e288c047f0843.jpg

17122738812475338665535409417729.jpg

Looks like you have some harder water there, mine is the worlds softest lol @johnnyxxl, do you have an way of testing the ammonia in the tank or no?

On 4/6/2024 at 7:54 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Looks like you have some harder water there, mine is the worlds softest lol @johnnyxxl, do you have an way of testing the ammonia in the tank or no?

I have a drop test for ammonia and 0 ammonia 

Funny thing I should have soft water according to the fish shops 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:11 PM, johnnyxxl said:

More roots formed so more plantedIMG_20240315_150842_774.thumb.jpg.36ef935981ea0d09563c823497c68974.jpg

I'm liking your hardscape and it looks like your plants are starting to come along.  What size is this tank?  Any fish stocking in mind yet?

On 4/19/2024 at 12:23 PM, Flipper said:

I'm liking your hardscape and it looks like your plants are starting to come along.  What size is this tank?  Any fish stocking in mind yet?

I posted too quickly!  Looks like you already have fish.  Tank has come a long way.  Great job, aquarium and stand look lovely 😍

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 1:31 PM, Flipper said:

I posted too quickly!  Looks like you already have fish.  Tank has come a long way.  Great job, aquarium and stand look lovely 😍

Still not fully done with my fish, just started you will love the next batch I have planned.  It's a 4 footer when I calculated the volume it was 78 gallons so I think it was sold as 80

Edited by johnnyxxl
  • Like 2