Ziss adjustable airstone felt replacement

tolstoy21

On 2/23/2024 at 6:51 AM, tolstoy21 said:

Can the felts simply be cleaned? 

Mine seem to be all plugged up.

When I was running the Ziss air stones prior to the air collars I would have to pull the felt pads out weekly. I’d squish and pinch and roll them through my fingers in the tank water I was taking out. Reassemble, and reinstall. Worked for me, but I had to do it every week. 

I never tried the vinegar soak, but if I still had them I would try it. 

• Like 1

I do a 3 step that always works for me.  My water is liquid rock higher kh/ gh than coop strips test. 

soak 10 minutes in straight hydrogen peroxide to get the outer gunk. Rinse  30 minutes in vinegar either regular white or cleaning vinegar. Rinse another 10 in peroxide to get any remaining gunk rinse

i keep extra airstones on hand to make this easy. I just swap and then bulk clean. 

• Like 3

On 2/23/2024 at 11:47 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

When I was running the Ziss air stones prior to the air collars I would have to pull the felt pads out weekly. I’d squish and pinch and roll them through my fingers in the tank water I was taking out. Reassemble, and reinstall. Worked for me, but I had to do it every week. 

I never tried the vinegar soak, but if I still had them I would try it. 

That's wild to me, I have rock hard water and I have never cleaned an air stone.  Ziss or otherwise.  Occasionally the actual "stone" type ones get crumbly.  But I've never had to mess with one otherwise.  Now, I've only been using Ziss stones for a little over two years.  So take that for what it's worth.  My biggest complaint with air stones is they constantly fall off when I'm cleaning filters.

what's the deal with these? I ordered 20 from ACO like 3 years ago, my trans-shipper (my sister in the US) lost the package for around 2 years, and I just got them before this past christmas. They make much bigger bubbles than the traditional "stone" airstones, even when cranked down tight. So why are they good? I feel like I'm missing something. 

image.png.d9321441627d5681c30b935a833d35df.png

On 2/23/2024 at 3:43 PM, TOtrees said:

what's the deal with these? I ordered 20 from ACO like 3 years ago, my trans-shipper (my sister in the US) lost the package for around 2 years, and I just got them before this past christmas. They make much bigger bubbles than the traditional "stone" airstones, even when cranked down tight. So why are they good? I feel like I'm missing something. 

image.png.d9321441627d5681c30b935a833d35df.png

Those were the old ones with blue felt. The newer ones with green felt work great and give small bubbles 

On 2/23/2024 at 3:54 PM, Guppysnail said:

Those were the old ones with blue felt. The newer ones with green felt work great and give small bubbles 

Thx! I sense they're going to an auction, but wanted to poll the experts before committing. 🙂

Sorry for hijacking :s

• Like 1