Lima catfish

JosiahBass

I was wondering what to feed my lima shovelnose catfish I have tried earthworms and frozen bloodworms I have only had him 2 days he might still be to stressed to eat. I originally got him for my bass tank as a tank mate for my bass who is 6 inch's long. He was slightly too small my bass was picking at my lima catfish so I moved him into a different tank so I could grow him out. I plan on getting a bigger tank in a month or so, and I am hoping I can put them back together in the bigger tank. any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. 

On 2/22/2024 at 6:01 PM, JosiahBass said:

I was wondering what to feed my lima shovelnose catfish I have tried earthworms and frozen bloodworms I have only had him 2 days he might still be to stressed to eat. I originally got him for my bass tank as a tank mate for my bass who is 6 inch's long. He was slightly too small my bass was picking at my lima catfish so I moved him into a different tank so I could grow him out. I plan on getting a bigger tank in a month or so, and I am hoping I can put them back together in the bigger tank. any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. 

@JosiahBass My mom had one many years ago but she fed it live guppy feeders. That was the trend back then. I would definitely get it on sinking pellets. Give a little time to adjust to it's new environment. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 6:56 PM, JosiahBass said:

Ok, if it will eat live I will try to feed it some small minnows. Like I said I have a bass he only eats live, though I have gotten him to eat frozen tilapia.

The lima shovelnose could be fed tilapia as well.

Do you quarantine your minnows prior to feeding?

• Like 1

Thank you,I do quarantine my minnows. I also don't buy them from a pet store, I lost like 6 cichlids a year or so ago to ick because of feeder's not making the same mistake again.

Thank's for the advice Colu, I plan on trying some more thing's. He also is only a little over 6 inches long so it does limit my options.

On 2/23/2024 at 12:40 AM, JosiahBass said:

Thank you,I do quarantine my minnows. I also don't buy them from a pet store, I lost like 6 cichlids a year or so ago to ick because of feeder's not making the same mistake again.

The problem with feeding feeder fish is the chance of introducing parasites or pathogens 

Edited by Colu

I normally catch most of the food for my bass and then quarantine it still. I find it to be a way for me to get healthier feeders.I would recommend a bait shop over pet store feeder's any day. At least, if you can feed your fish larger feeders.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:40 AM, JosiahBass said:

I normally catch most of the food for my bass and then quarantine it still. I find it to be a way for me to get healthier feeders.I would recommend a bait shop over pet store feeder's any day. At least, if you can feed your fish larger feeders.

I think it would be safer to start a your own colony of feeder guppies or platys quarantine and  deworm and have a sustainable supply of healthy feeder fish 

On 2/23/2024 at 8:52 AM, Colu said:

I think it would be safer to start a your own colony of feeder guppies or platys quarantine and  deworm and have a sustainable supply of healthy feeder fish 

I actually do breed feeder guppies for my other fish. My bass is to big I would have to feed him way more then I can breed.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:55 PM, JosiahBass said:

I actually do breed feeder guppies for my other fish. My bass is to big I would have to feed him way more then I can breed.

You could start breeding Mollies some get 5in they would be better choice to use for feeders for bigger fish 

• Like 1