Cherry Shrimp in HOB Filter

twodaend

How do you keep cherry shrimp out of your HOB filter?  Every time I clean my AquaClear 50 HOB, I always find a few shrimp in the filter box.  Thus I always rinse both sponges in the filter box in a buck with some clear tank water and it never fails that a few more shrimp will come out of the sponges.  This last time, I must have found about 20 that I rescued and put back in the tank.  Most of them are tiny to small babies, but I have found a few larger ones when I have gone longer between cleaning my filter.  I hope those guys haven't grown up in the filter, that would be crazy.

I have a medium Aquarium Coop pre filter sponge and I see a bunch of shrimp grazing on the song so I know some of the smaller ones are probably inside the sponge.  However, to make it all the way into the filter box given the propeller is strange.

I'm just wondering if others who have a HOB on their shrimp tank have to be mindful of how they clean their HOB or is there a way to prevent the cherry shrimp from getting into the HOB in the first place?

• Like 1

My HOBs and canisters serve as fantastic homes for my neocaridina.  Some tanks it’s the only safe place for them to grow large enough not to get eaten.  As far as diet every yummy thing shrimp love is collected inside.

It never hurt any of them health wise that I could see once returned to the tank over 5 or more years.

You can buy the fine prefilters off Amazon but those clog up weekly or sooner on aquaclears. 

• Like 2

@Macready that's exactly what I have on the intake of the AC 50.  I see shrimp all over it and apparently, some of the smaller ones are able to get into the nooks and crannies.  However for some to make it all the way into the filter box is strange and amazing as I'm surprised the impeller did not kill them.   When I clean the AC 50 it is like I have a whole separate colony living in there and I have to be extra careful cleaning those sponges as well.