Clay bricks for scaping

GregJ23

I want to start a tank for rock dwelling cichlids and was thinking of using clay bricks from Home Depot for some of the rock work. Does anyone have experience using clay bricks in aquariums, and do they change the water chemistry? I am hoping it could be a cheaper alternative to traditional aquascaping stones.

I have used clay bricks for a few years now. I originally started using them 4 years ago, as an attempt to give shrimp and fry a chance to hide.

After I transitioned over to keeping goldfish, I have also used them for baby goldfish. I eventually removed them because goldfish are not very bright and often get hurt with even very simple hardscape, so I wouldn't risk it. But the babies seemed to love them! I'd still use them even for larger fancy goldfish, but only as very simple constructions that they can swim around and not into.

Chemistry-wise I didn't notice them affecting the water quality in any way. If any, I'd expect them to offer substantial surfaces for the beneficial bacteria involved with the nitrogen cycle.

ps: I have also used sewage PVC pipes as elements in a DIY filter, but I am sure that you could use those too for them to use as caves

1688200085742.jpg.a07b0e0d2564d67e2b3cab8083b4cd5b.jpg  IMG_20230501_145042.jpg.19e950accaf5b68f60e337c64a40d52e.jpg

gif.gif.d58a33289fee233028b55217cb66cd30.gif

Edited by EggShappedFish

I 've used clay drain tiles for pleco caves as well as bricks without any problems. 

Long ago the local zoo had a grass carp display using red clay bricks, clay sewer pipe and a few beer bottles. for authenticity🙂