Fluval Flex Durability?

MattMC

Hello everyone!

I recently got a Fluval Flex 9 for my daughter because she looooves my tank.

Stocking it with love plant trimmings from my tank, a beta, a bristlenose pleco, a trapdoor snail and prop a handful of cherry shrimp from my tank.

Anyways, my question is about durability, the glass on this thing is extremely thin, meaning the seals are also extremely thin.  I can literally flex the glass and see the movement in the silicone seams...

Anyone ever bump one of these and have it survive?  She knows it's delicate but the thinness is making me a bit nervous as it's in her bedroom.

Thanks!

Edited by MattMC
  • Like 1

My 15g flex is still in good shape nearly 5 years later. Its been moved a couple times and rescaped/redone several more times. Its a good tank with the pump and associated components still holding up with minimal damage. It's been so long though I don't know if they could be making them differently now or something. Saw one post on reddit a while ago of a flex with an iffy seal exactly like you are describing, but mine hasn't yet done that. I wouldn't be comfortable with any seal that moves like that personally, but the person in that post didn't have issues yet when they posted. I'm personally too anxious and would just replace or reseal. 

Edited by Gannon
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:33 PM, MattMC said:

Hello everyone!

I recently got a Fluval Flex 9 for my daughter because she looooves my tank.

Stocking it with love plant trimmings from my tank, a beta, a bristlenose pleco, a trapdoor snail and prop a handful of cherry shrimp from my tank.

Anyways, my question is about durability, the glass on this thing is extremely thin, meaning the seals are also extremely thin.  I can literally flex the glass and see the movement in the silicone seams...

Anyone ever bump one of these and have it survive?  She knows it's delicate but the thinness is making me a bit nervous as it's in her bedroom.

Thanks!

I've had a 9 gallon one for 2 years without issues. Had a couple bumps into the table, but none directly on the tank. Did have to move it an inch once to take care of water spill during water change. I didn't like the seal on my first one, so exchanged it for a new one and has been going strong.