Social Media Immigrant looking for friends

Hello all

I have recently decided to give up on Facebook, Instagram and Reddit, but realised that along with all the toxicity, I also cut out a lot of the better stuff, like the groups of people that share the same passions as I. Therefore I am very happy to see that forums are still around if not better than what they used to be!

I have had fishtanks since the 90s although with periods where I was not able to keep fish. I have some experience with many types of fresh water fish, but at I feel that I have settled on fancy goldfish.

I love DIY solutions and my style is:

• Maybe I could make this better
  • This is not made for this, but maybe it could work
  • If it works it works. It does not also have to be pretty

I love creating content, sharing updates and ideas of what I am doing and trying to present it in an interesting way. I loved Instagram for this, but I haven't posted anything there since November (when META forced us in the EU to choose between targeted ads, or ad-free experience for €10 a month per profile!). Instead I am working on a blog that might become something at some point. It's not here yet though.

On the side, I like messing graphics, logos, video editing etc.

I also like helping others, and I love not only learning new things, but especially being proven wrong because then I learn something new that  I thought was correct. I look forward to getting to know you and sharing the hobby with all of you.

• Like 7

Welcome to the forum.  We are very different than most social media.  This platform is designed around being a safe learning and sharing environment for all protected from the internet negativity.

We have a fabulous Photos, journals sections that sound right up your alley.

I love creating a journal for new to me fish or projects that are less common and sharing my learning journeys with others.  You can link your ACO forum journals (no outside blogs or journals) in your signature for ease of finding.  If you need help with how send me a message or just tag me.  

On 2/9/2024 at 7:16 AM, EggShappedFish said:

This is not made for this, but maybe it could work

I laughed so hard. This is me! I drive my husband crazy. He is forever… “where is xyz”. Me: oh I did this to it and used it for that Hubby:🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the forum!

Things are way less toxic here. I made the mistake of going back on Reddit recently. I made the suggestion that someone could keep killifish in a 5 gallon tank and got flamed.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:16 AM, EggShappedFish said:

It's always cool seeing what people can put together from non-aquarium stuff. What's the thing you're most proud of? Or if that's too broad, what's the coolest thing you've made recently?

On 2/9/2024 at 7:18 PM, Schuyler said:

what's the coolest thing you've made recently?

Thanks, and thanks for asking!

I feel like a project that i have been working on and optimising for the past year must be the one I'd have to show. It's a filtration system built out of sewage pipes for my fancy goldfish tank.

image.jpeg.3d76ce52bdd8d6c583dfdb37807b5b36.jpeg

The middle 5 tubes were filled with filter media (ceramic rings) and the outter 4 were filled with gradually finer PPI sponges and fiber filter. I used powerheads to move 1000lit/h (220gal/h) through each pipe as well as run two canister filters that both poured their outlet into the middle pipe. I am pretty proud of this, mainly because it worked really well, but besides the Super Mario feel to it, it did not look really all that nice. I have actually emptied this tank in order to treat the fish for gill flukes, and rebuilding the filtration to look better (and maybe be not quite as oversized). We'll see how it turns out when all parts arrive.

This is a picture of the filter that I am building in it at the moment.

1706968871801.jpg.697900258cd3c869e60a58254985fd55.jpg 1706914936041.jpg.b1568ebd413cd96d8efe7fcac5749988.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Hello all

I have recently decided to give up on Facebook, Instagram and Reddit, but realised that along with all the toxicity, I also cut out a lot of the better stuff, like the groups of people that share the same passions as I. Therefore I am very happy to see that forums are still around if not better than what they used to be!

I have had fishtanks since the 90s although with periods where I was not able to keep fish. I have some experience with many types of fresh water fish, but at I feel that I have settled on fancy goldfish.

I love creating content, sharing updates and ideas of what I am doing and trying to present it in an interesting way. I loved Instagram for this, but I haven't posted anything there since November (when META forced us in the EU to choose between targeted ads, or ad-free experience for €10 a month per profile!). Instead I am working on a blog that might become something at some point. It's not here yet though.

I also like helping others, and I love not only learning new things, but especially being proven wrong because then I learn something new that  I thought was correct. I look forward to getting to know you and sharing the hobby with all of you.

Welcome man. U will find friends I know! I like this forum! I like the way goldfish look but to big of tanks for me personally 🤣. I am a nano tank guy! Welcome @EggShappedFish

• 1 month later...

Hello all

It's great to have you! I recently decided to stop posting on IG as well. The reach and interaction just isn't there anymore. It's humbling when you put the time into creating a reel or post and it only gets seen by less than 10% of the people who follow you. I'm not willing to pay or advertise for likes, so I come here and also to the planted tank forum, as well as a couple groups I found on FB. I encourage you to post and keep updates in the journal section. Those are some beautiful goldfish btw🙂

• Love 1