There was a talk at my local aquarium club about outdoor tubs. He recommended using liquid rubber that you can paint on. You can buy it at hardware stores. If I remember right he said that he uses a brand that says something about Canada.

I would probably go with a big Rubbermaid but if you go galvanized I would consider coating the inside.

• Like 1

I've used 50 gallon storage totes for a couple years, with no issues. The plastic is inert, and flexible enough that it's not brittle, even after a couple years in the sun. It's definitely a thinner wall than the stock tanks though, and I have found that I have to tie a couple pieces of wood under the lip of the "long" side, to prevent splitting of the rim due to bowing, from the water weight. Like this:

image.png.c971b88bdd7b05238986ed7d0ffdd7df.png

Here's the bin I use, from Canadian Tire. I remove the wheels, and the bottom is flat and well-reinforced. 

image.png.ad3a6fa7948d493e2e5b64e41bd66432.png

My point is you can make do with almost anything, as long as it hold water and is durable (and not toxic). 

Edited by TOtrees
  • Thanks 1

I like the drawing

On 2/8/2024 at 7:48 AM, TOtrees said:

I've used 50 gallon storage totes for a couple years, with no issues. The plastic is inert, and flexible enough that it's not brittle, even after a couple years in the sun. It's definitely a thinner wall than the stock tanks though, and I have found that I have to tie a couple pieces of wood under the lip of the "long" side, to prevent splitting of the rim due to bowing, from the water weight. Like this:

image.png.c971b88bdd7b05238986ed7d0ffdd7df.png

Here's the bin I use, from Canadian Tire. I remove the wheels, and the bottom is flat and well-reinforced. 

image.png.ad3a6fa7948d493e2e5b64e41bd66432.png

My point is you can make do with almost anything, as long as it hold water and is durable (and not toxic). 

I like drawing