Maintaining Pothos roots or training them?

I've been really loving having pothos growing out of many of my tanks; it's a bit crazy how fast they grow. My only issue is maintaining the roots. I notice they love to grow towards, and into, my sponge filters (I'm not using HOBs). I've trimmed the roots in the past, but I don't really like the look, and I'd rather let them grow out in the back of the tank. Has anyone had any success training the roots or keeping them away from the sponge filter? I was thinking of using some hardscape to attempt to keep them at bay, but I also don't necessarily want to cover them, the rooted look of the tank is nice IMO.

• Like 1

I have some I let grow all the way down into the substrate of my 75 gallon. They really love the extra iron from root tabs once they got down there, I could really see the difference in how green they got. You also get the benefit of them being anchored down there instead of all over the tank.

The roots grow much slower than the vines, I only needed to get them under control 2 or 3 times a year whereas the other growth needed to be tied up every couple weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1