Small schooling fish ideas for my new 20 gallon fresh water tank?

JS Fish

“In their native habitat, these tetras are used to soft, acidic water and dimly lit conditions. Thus, it’s crucial to mimic these conditions in your breeding tank. Use dark-colored substrate at the bottom of the tank, and add plants to provide hiding spots and to help dim the light. You can also add a sponge filter for gentle filtration that won’t suck up the fry once they’re born.

Proper water conditions are vital for encouraging them to breed. The water should be soft and slightly acidic, mimicking the tetras’ natural Amazonian habitat. Aim for a pH between 5.0 and 6.0 and a water hardness (dH) around 1.0.“

I read this on a site describing how to breed Green Neon Tetras… I will grant it was one site and I don’t have experience breeding and raising fry other than Cories.  If it is factual though, would it be likely that a farm who recreated this environment would then go to the effort to acclimate the fish to higher hardness water?   

I have had five batches of Green Neon Tetra and only 1 batch suffered any mortality.   One would think this to be a significant outlier if normal expectation was 60% mortality at best or as mentioned higher in post the need to buy 20-30 if you want to stock 10….

On 1/29/2024 at 11:32 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah. There seems to be a bias here that to be successful you must have soft water. They forget that 84% of the US has semi hard to very hard water. Still, I would love a large school of standard neons, I just can’t quite get there 

Yeah neons are generally under fed and sick. You may be able to get through it with salt and power feeding. That or hunt for a better source

On 1/30/2024 at 12:23 AM, Scapexghost said:

I have stalagtites growing in my shower. If neon tetra couldnt surbive hard water they wouldnt be the most popular fish in the hobby

Idont for a second think it means they cant survive hard water, but it might be that it is an added stressor in addition to the stress of shipping, comingling and handling from farm or wc through wholesalers to store and to new tank.

And now we owe a huge apology to JS FISH. Absolutely sorry for letting this get out of hand. I have removed everything I said that was off topic and causing issues. I’ll remove this later.. sorry JS Fish. Please have fun with your new tank. I’m actually really jealous. I’d love to start another, but I can’t seem to stop😅

Edited by Tony s