Setting up new 20 gallon tank. Any planting ideas?

Hi, I would say, since you have sand your best best are rhizome plants, like Java ferns, Anubias. They are easy plants, slow growers so you might need a bit of them to get started. If you have planting substrate below the sand I'd put in some small swords. I like a valisineria or Bacopa can be fun and easy to propagate. 

I tend to lean more on the easy plant side myself. I like no fuss when it comes to the green stuff! 

On 1/25/2024 at 12:06 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi, I would say, since you have sand your best best are rhizome plants, like Java ferns, Anubias. They are easy plants, slow growers so you might need a bit of them to get started. If you have planting substrate below the sand I'd put in some small swords. I like a valisineria or Bacopa can be fun and easy to propagate. 

I tend to lean more on the easy plant side myself. I like no fuss when it comes to the green stuff! 

I'm right with you on easy plants. Thanks for the ideas!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 3:28 PM, JS Fish said:

I started planting the tank!

I so far have:

● a peice of water wisteria

● a moss ball

● 4 patches of java moss

● and dwarf baby tears.

20240203_152609.jpg

20240203_152625.jpg

20240203_152641.jpg

20240203_152656.jpg

20240203_152717.jpg

20240203_152733.jpg

That's a great start, and a nice looking hardscape. I will say that, in my limited experience, that lots of plants thrive better than a few plants. That is, planting heavy right from the start seems to make the plants more likely to succeed in terms of outcompeting algae. Plants can be expensive, but I had a harder time planting a pot or two over time than I did just biting the bullet and planting a whole bunch all at once. Good luck!

On 2/5/2024 at 5:43 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

That's a great start, and a nice looking hardscape. I will say that, in my limited experience, that lots of plants thrive better than a few plants. That is, planting heavy right from the start seems to make the plants more likely to succeed in terms of outcompeting algae. Plants can be expensive, but I had a harder time planting a pot or two over time than I did just biting the bullet and planting a whole bunch all at once. Good luck!

Thanks, I will most likely be adding multiple plants today including java fern, anubis nana petite, more java moss, and maybe another moss ball!

• Like 2