Not Normal but seems Ok

NOLANANO

I just wanted to start a thread to see if others also have anything going on in their tanks that would not be "normal" but doesn't seem like its bad.

The things that sparked my interest in this topic is that I have 1 Rummynose tetra that has lost the color in his nose.  I have had my school of 9 Rummynose for about a year and half, maybe 2 years and when I got them they all had very red noses. About 6 months ago, one of them lost the color in its nose.  A reverse Rudolph if you will.  At first I tested the water but the quality was fine and the rest of the Rummynose all had bright red noses so I thought maybe this one was just weak and would die soon.  Well its been 6 months and this guy is still going strong. He eats and swims and schools with the other Tetra without any issues, he just doesn't have a red nose.

Have any of you had similar quirky things happen with your fish that usually indicate an issue but are seemingly a one off?

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 7:18 AM, NOLANANO said:

... About 6 months ago, one of them lost the color in its nose.  A reverse Rudolph if you will.  ...

Do the other rummynose let them play their rummynose games?  Has he befriended a misfit neon tetra dentist?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

at first the other rummynose called him names but then one foggy Christmas eve...he was still of no help cuz he was the only one without a red nose.  They didn't accept him until they needed to run a stealth mission to steal some food from the cories and he was the only one that could go in undetected.

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Haha 3

About 6 months ago, one of them lost the color in its nose.  A reverse Rudolph if you will.

I've seen this with barbs and other schooling fish. Whatever is the weakest of the group will dull itself and then try to avoid aggression from the more dominant fish. Sub dominant males will actually try to replicate female coloration in some species for the same reason. Wounded fish will also do this to conserve energy, because displaying color takes energy.

Have any of you had similar quirky things happen with your fish that usually indicate an issue but are seemingly a one off?

Not really sure. Amanos love to leave the tank at times of stress. Sometimes just having the filter off too long can send them running for the sky.

My small community tank has a special corner.  In late afternoon it is not uncommon to find the SAEs attached to the glass in the right front corner.  They prefer to rest as a group.  This is the same corner where the Vallisneria Spiralis migrates to, but otherwise doesn't grow.  A little later, all or of the fish gather on the right side of the tank.  I've considered that this might be a flow problem, but with the possible exception of the Embers, all of the fish will swim into  the current, or hang out directly under the HOB on the other side of the tank.  My best explanation is that they know that this is the direction that the food will come from.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:44 AM, Tanked said:

My small community tank has a special corner.  In late afternoon it is not uncommon to find the SAEs attached to the glass in the right front corner.  They prefer to rest as a group.  This is the same corner where the Vallisneria Spiralis migrates to, but otherwise doesn't grow.  A little later, all or of the fish gather on the right side of the tank.  I've considered that this might be a flow problem, but with the possible exception of the Embers, all of the fish will swim into  the current, or hang out directly under the HOB on the other side of the tank.  My best explanation is that they know that this is the direction that the food will come from.

My cories all sleep in the same corner and I think its because its the area with least amount of flow. When awake, they swim all around so its not lik ethe flow is too much elsewhere, they just know where its easiest to relax.

IMG_5831.jpeg.af87045bdaaad5071c9ba405a72e60c9.jpeg

• Like 2