Deicer

Lizzyduff

Usually the pond waterfall does the trick but last week it froze the top 3 inches solid regardless and poured water out on top of the ice and eventually the porch. Took hours and a hammer, and lots of whisky to open a small hole for gas exchange. Looking at buying a pond or birdbath deicer for the next short deep freeze but most seem to have mixed reviews. From overheating the actual water instead of just a small ring,  to electric shocks. My goldfish and i are both too old to deal with 3 inches of ice next time so I thought I'd ask you all. In the winter the goldies do their hibernation thing in a 45gallon tub on the patio- got tired of hungry critters eating them every winter- so once the water temperature is in the low 30's I move them to their winter tub. Still outside but protected on the porch from birds and raccoons. I keep the waterfall filter going but that wasn't enough this time. Thoughts?

On 1/19/2024 at 2:04 AM, Lizzyduff said:

Took hours and a hammer, and lots of whisky to open a small hole for gas exchange.

^^you had me here^^ 😂

I bring tub fish indoors over the winter. If you can get another tub, have that indoors, and move your fish into a partially heated entryway, garage, or basement … that makes most sense to me.

• Love 1